Odd behavior

angie3881

Songster
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
35 minutes south of Kinnick
I have one male and two females peafowl that free range. All day today they have been in the barn rafters above the hay, which I only find strange because they are always out running around the yard. Could they be watching an egg in the hay? Do the protect their eggs?

So even if the hawks are not big enough to eat the peafowl they will still hide from them? I guess that is why when I free-ranged the peas didn't do anything but hide in the bushes all day. We have at least a pair of some big redtail hawks that are always flying around. Then we also have some fast hawks that frequent our place too. I love the hawks but it would be too bad if they were the cause for the peafowl not doing much when they free-range.

Our gang certainly keep an eye out when hawks are around, but they don't actually hide or try to get off of the ground (unless there are chicks involved).
They only head for the trees when there's a coyote or a bobcat and one of them sounds the alarm.
(although sometimes they head straight towards the predator, I think because they are nosy!)

Is is possible that you have a larger predator around, angie?

Not to my knowledge. Things are back to normal now. It was strange behavior. The hawks we have had around here pose no threat to the peas. We once witnessed our female attack a hawk in mid air to save a baby chick (chicken). I did see an eagle in the field by our place this winter. I wanted to hide from that thing, too. :) Pretty sure an eagle could get the job done. I searched high and low in the hay... no egg. Boo. Maybe it was a full moon. I JUST WANT AN EGG!! Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom