Odd breathing in roo

shelbyw

Songster
6 Years
Jul 1, 2015
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 4 year old silkie rooster that is breathing oddly. He sounds congested when he breaths in and it is kind of freaking me out. I immediately put 2 drops of vet rx into his mouth and sprayed a vet rx/water mix under his wings and on his breast. His poop is normal and he is still eating and drinking. He is pretty much acting normal other than his breathing. I also have not heard him crow since I got home. He seems to be walking and even running fine, but I separated him from the hens just in case it is contagious. I did have a hen back in January that did get very sick, but she was dripping from her nose and gurgling stuff. I found her in time to remove her from the flock before this happened because she started acting odd a couple of days before she started sneezing and stuff. I soaked all of my chickens after she died in the vet rx stuff and they were all very healthy and normal. I do not think it is the same thing the hen had since she died 4 months ago and no one else showed signs. I did put new dirt in the pen to level the ground out, do you think that is the problem? He isn't sneezing or coughing, but I think I caught him early because he didn't show signs at all yesterday or this morning.

Vet rx is similar to vicks vap o rub for humans.
It will not "cure" an illness.
Could his "breathing oddly" be panting..because of the heat?
How old is he?

He may need antibiotics...or he may have a virus that can't be cured from medicine.
Can you take him to a vet?
Has he been treated for worms?

He seems to be better now. I still haven't noticed any discharge and he is very alert and responsive. He is still eating and drinking and pooping normally also. It seems as if he lost his voice and he can only make little tiny sounds. He still has not crowed at all and is just standing in the quarantine pen. He is not panting and is breathing out of his nose. I do not understand what is wrong with his voice.

I was just informed today after I got done tending to my chickens, that I will be having to get rid of them and so will the other people in my neighbourhood. We got some new people in about 3 days ago and the are complaining about the chickens. I have 3 people that I know I can get to try and take them, but I need my rooster to be better so he can be healthy when he goes

who is telling you to get rid of them?
do not believe the first person who tells you...
do some research.

A common respiratory problem from wet conditions and mold is aspergillosis, a fungal disease. It can affect the voice and cause gasping. Usually it cannot be diagnosed until a necropsy is performed after death. It is not contagious to other chickens, but since you cannot be sure that he doesn't have anything contagious, or that your other chickens are carriers of what killed the first chicken, I would be cautious in rehoming them. One carrier bird can kill a flock or make them all carriers.

Back
Top Bottom