odd chick sexing technique, anyone seen this?

I have heard of that since the very beginning of my chicken raising experiences. An old lady from this town was allowed to pick out her own chicks at the feed store from the straight run brooder and did it with 100% accuracy. I tried learning to vent sex and killed one of my pullets back in May, so I look real quick, but I am not certain. I separated my chicks about 3 days ago. The ones I knew were roos, did fight. The ones I knew were pullets didn't fight. The others, I did the 'test' on and separated according to how they acted and hopefully I am mostly right.
I would have wanted more roosters because I incubated to fill my freezer and plan on selling the pullets.

i heard of a technique where you "fly" something over the chicks like a hat or something....the pullets will crouch and the roos will stand up taller. i don't know if it works though.

Hatcheries breed for that trait. It does not work on every breed unless it is bred into them. Most vent sex, I believe.

lol.png
at Tim! Barbie shoes, LOL. I'll have to try that.

so then most likely the eggs I have in the bator that came from breeders won't have that trait?? ah too bad I was so excited

silver laced wyandotte
sicilian buttercups
speckled sussex
white orpingtons
barnevelders

This method is very primative and there is no guarantee, but I feel it is better than just guessing. Would I be alone in the assumption that the fighting instinct is stronger in the male of the species? I know some females fight and some males don't, but for the most part the ole fashion method should at least give you a passing grade, by my way of thinking.

I agree with chkinut that you can fly something over the box of chciks, the older the better, like a red sock, or something else frightful, and the pullets will duck and scatter, and the little roos will stand tall and face the horrid sock.
This so much so that when danger strikes, the hens will run, and the roosters stand tall, and this is how I lost my roosters when a neighbor's dog dug under my fence.
Now we are rooless
sad.png

Try it

Back
Top Bottom