Odd colored d'uccle

Holy crap we are getting a lot of wind with pounding rain. My turkeys are so dumb...they are literally 3 ft from shelter and the saw horse got in their way so they are stuck.
th.gif

I looked up Creme light brown dutch, and it seems doable. Other then the fact, I have no understanding of genetics, I think there are those that do and can help. But I can get a bird, house the bird and do lots of hatching
yesss.gif
So would you use a dutch rooster over a Mille girl or the opposite?
Michele
You can do it either way, as the cream gene isn't sex-linj\led. The reason I do roos is that I can get more bang for the buck. Get a coopful of hens and let them do their thing, you get a bunch of fertilized eggs a week later. One hen, 1 egg every two days or so. Ten hens, ten eggs every two days. Gives you a lot more room to cull when trying to bring the breed back to standards. If you only have a few pullets or cockerals to choose from, you are pretty stuck with having to use them, even though you wouldn't normally breed them for SQ. Like my millie roo does have a long neck, but I have several new millie roos to choose from in this last hatch. Obviously, I will find one or two that are closer to standards and replace him.

Maybe I'll get a pair, put the girl with the blue mille roo and the boy with the mille girls. I'm going to look at the swap this weekend. What else could be beneficial?

Silver or Lemon Spangled Hamburgs. That's what I have in the bator right now. Looks like only two are fertile, or at least viable. Two is better than nothing.
girls.
My new boys are friendly towards each other, which is nice. They were in my aviary with a bunch of my girls. There was a little posturing, but nothing else. They ate and cleaned right next to each other. My pumpkin silkie/d'uccles picked out the pumpkin boy as her beau.

Last edited:
Good luck. I know my birds aren't laying right now. Does anybody have anyone laying?

Oddly enough, my little bantam EE covered by my Phoenix cock is laying, and I'm incubating her pretty blue eggs as we speak. Can't wait for the interesting babies! They've got to be cute. My young d'Uccles are just now starting to figure out that boys are girls are different...LOL. I surely hope they lay this winter - it would be great! They have a heat lamp in with them (for the babies in with them) and maybe that light will be enough...?
fl.gif

I'll be looking for the Cream Dutch Bantams and/or eggs at the big poultry show coming up next month. I DEFINITELY will share with yall if I'm successful....I hope we are all successful, so we can all trade back and forth! More
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom