Odd Easter Egger... Hen or Roo?

IsaacK

Songster
6 Years
Jul 4, 2016
Central Indiana
About 5 months old. I was thinking probably a roo, but keep going back and forth... Thoughts? Also, any idea what this color is? (please excuse the mud and cramped quarters. There was flooding here.)

That's a pullet. She's Easter egger colored--no specific color. She's based on a partridge/wild-type coloring, but has the blue gene instead of black.

Hello and thanks to all that have commented... I wanted to provide a few updates. This lovely chicken still has no spurs, has not crowed, and has laid no eggs. Still unsure of gender, but it does seem to have more tail curl since they began replacing feathers. He or she was bought at Rural King, and I found out it came from Townline hatchery which said these chicks are Araucana-Ameraucana Line. Without further adieu, here are some pictures taken today. Thanks again, hope you enjoy the update. K.

Hello and thanks to all that have commented... I wanted to provide a few updates. This lovely chicken still has no spurs, has not crowed, and has laid no eggs. Still unsure of gender, but it does seem to have more tail curl since they began replacing feathers. He or she was bought at Rural King, and I found out it came from Townline hatchery which said these chicks are Araucana-Ameraucana Line. Without further adieu, here are some pictures taken today. Thanks again, hope you enjoy the update. K.

Still definitely a female.

Still definitely a female.
Thanks for responding. I didn't realize hens tails could curl so much. The other pullets have very straight tails with wider feathers. The is and the white one our neighbor now has both have this tail curling and slimmer tail feathers. Whats also interesting, is that both were rumpless for several weeks after the other chicks grew their first tails. Im including an updated pic he sent me of the white one too. Their all going on 7 months now I believe. Anything I can do to encourage them to lay? Thanks again. K.

Thanks for responding. I didn't realize hens tails could curl so much. The other pullets have very straight tails with wider feathers. The is and the white one our neighbor now has both have this tail curling and slimmer tail feathers. Whats also interesting, is that both were rumpless for several weeks after the other chicks grew their first tails. Im including an updated pic he sent me of the white one too. Their all going on 7 months now I believe. Anything I can do to encourage them to lay? Thanks again. K.

Also a pullet. The curving tails are just a juvenile molt. See how those are the last two or three feathers left? The others have been pushed out by the new feathers. Once they are done with molting their tail feathers and have all their grown up feathers in, they will be ready to lay. In the meantime, keep treats limited to no more than 10% of their daily diet, and make sure they are still getting grower feed. Layer feed is for actively laying birds only and doesn't have enough protein in it for birds that are still growing in feathers.

Back
Top Bottom