Odd laying behaviors

Bonnieboo

Songster
6 Years
Apr 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
My 2 1/2 year old Australorp Gertie has long recovered from her moult and her comb indicates she is ready to lay. We had one egg then nothing for a few days then a broken soft egg in the nest. Nothing again for a couple of days then a soft egg (broken) and today a fairy egg. When her feathers were growing back she seemed to get what appeared to be broken feathers at the back of her neck. This has improved but not completely regrown. She is eating and drinking and basically doing all the things chooks like to do but I'm concerned about the inability to get back into the swing of normal egg laying.
Any ideas anyone?? I look forward to any advice.

When her feathers were growing back she seemed to get what appeared to be broken feathers at the back of her neck.
Do you have a male in our flock?
Other birds might be picking at her?

Sounds like startup glitches, older birds can sometimes take awhile to get started again.

What all and how exactly are you feeding?

I'm still worried about Gertie. She continues to lay erratically, and it's been a few weeks since she started laying after her moult. Over the last few weeks, she has only laid about 3 eggs and every third day or so, she lays a soft one. She also laid two fairy eggs in the same week. We did have an accidental rooster (damn those fertile eggs) who was very amorous and spent a lot of time harassing the girls which I thought might be a problem. He's been gone for about 10 days now (a friend wanted him) but this laying issue persists. The other hens have adjusted and are happily laying.
Gertie is eating and drinking well and seems perfectly happy and has a bright red comb.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what is causing this?
Thank you in advance for your help xxx

Try calcium 600 + vitamin d tablets for at least 10 consecutive days and see it she improves.

You can give her the ones for humans every night. Your supermarket will carry them.

Back
Top Bottom