OD'd on ducks

They felt guilty and probably just naturally shut the door when retrieving there pet. Unfortunately I know who the culprit is......I have a very loyal guard dog who was given the opportunity to be unattended while I ran to the lumber yard to get more supplies to upgrade the coop. Wife was in house and my son and I left back door open. Was gone 15 mins and came back in time to save one duck and play combat medic to another who didn't make it. Hardest part is not blaming the family dog who was just thinking he was playing.

image_20180424_162627_1524618361344.jpg

I've lost a few ducks due to foxes including my 1st and 2nd place mallard ducks... it was VERY frustrating. I've got some more mallards now from a person who shows ducks and he gave me some quality birds, sometime this year I will have some mallard ducklings, but at the moment I've got some more muscovies due in a week or something. They'll all probably be black and white.

I almost lost ninja when he was just couple days old.
I had a pair of call ducks that hatched right before the Cayugas. I got the bright idea to try and let them play together in my out building since the calls were about the same size as them.
It didn't work out at ALL. The calls scared the beegebers out of the Cayugas and ninja ran under the work bench and almost got lost behind the wall! By the time I finally got him out he was covered in spider web and pretty traumatized. So he ended up being more shy than the other one and has always let the others do everything first. So I think it's so cool he has a home now where he can finally be the top duck!

They felt guilty and probably just naturally shut the door when retrieving there pet. Unfortunately I know who the culprit is......I have a very loyal guard dog who was given the opportunity to be unattended while I ran to the lumber yard to get more supplies to upgrade the coop. Wife was in house and my son and I left back door open. Was gone 15 mins and came back in time to save one duck and play combat medic to another who didn't make it. Hardest part is not blaming the family dog who was just thinking he was playing.
Oh no! Those kind of things are hard. It's good that you are forgiving though.

I've lost a few ducks due to foxes including my 1st and 2nd place mallard ducks... it was VERY frustrating. I've got some more mallards now from a person who shows ducks and he gave me some quality birds, sometime this year I will have some mallard ducklings, but at the moment I've got some more muscovies due in a week or something. They'll all probably be black and white.
Very exciting! Don't they understand that ducks are special and not for them to just help them selves:hit. I have plenty of squirrels in my yard they can have:plbb

I picked up this handsome Cayuga drake at a poultry swap this morning. I had no intention of getting A Drake, but he was so beautiful, and his owners clearly cared that he went to a good home and I could not resist. I am thrilled! After picking up another three hens to add to the three I already had, ( I only meant to get two), He now has six ladies to take care of and he is already doing a great job. Tonight when I coaxed them into their enclosure for the night, he let all the ladies go first before he followed them in. He could give etiquette lessons Good job, Ninja !! You're off to a great start.
Such a gentleman!

Back
Top Bottom