Odd Question - should I bring my bantam roo indoors - pic added

By all means, bring him in. You will probably have to give him time outside when weather permits so that he can pick for stuff. A dog run would protect him from the others. I have had a sick chicken in my basement for weeks. When I can I put her out with the other girls. I also make sure to have a varied diet for her: triple duty, chicken scratch, pigeon feed, grit, oyster shell and chopped fruit/veggies. If you give your little guy all this he'll be fine. Good luck!

i have a house roo too. but he has never really left the comforts of my house since i can't get him to enjoy the company of other chickens unless they are in separate pens and not loose when he is. he's a sweety and my first so he got babied-rides my shoulder and doesn't let me out of his site while outside for some fun, cuddles too.

the only problem with a house roo is the crowing. my Chickie is good about the crowing-only starts once the light goes on and he knows i'm awake, and will crow for a short time once i get home from work. dh says he does it on rare occasion while i'm gone. i'v had others that were early and constant crowers that eventually found his way to the coop, a new home or went to freezer camp.

Hamish is doing very well! I think he must have been borderline ill and very, very cold yesterday. Makes me feel bad that I kept him out this past month. Today he's more animated and let me know that he wanted an outing. We had our backyard stroll (in the snow) and he walked over to talk to the outside chickens but then was ready to come back in.

He trotted over to the house door! What a funny guy!

I made sure that he has greens, grit, calcium and chicken feed. He's not too interesting in pecking around in his cage. I'm going to see about a parrot toy that he could peck at and play with.

I'm also looking into diapers so that he could be loose when I'm working in my office. He's having nap now. He likes to perch looking out the office door. What a cute little chicken he is.

No crowing yet... I don't think he feels confident enough yet. Angus the Red out in the coop is crowing but Hamish isn't answering him. Peel me off the ceiling when Hamish actually does crow. I get concentrating on my work and he'll make a noise and I'm not used to him behind me.
hmm.png

Last edited:
I have a sweet little house rooster too. He has a diaper, and he loves running around in it. He just can't seem to cope with the other chickens, like Hamish. Beware, if you keep him away from hens too long, all hens will hate him because he will race at them and lose all tact.
lol.png

Here he is! Snug inside on a nasty wintery day. He comes out for strolls and for daily (ahem) cage paper cleaning and sits on my lap while I work. Doesn't he look brighter than his outdoors photos? Poor guy.

HiFromHamish.jpg

Last edited:
Awwww he loooks sooo content now that he is in the house with you. If there is a drastic temp difference from inside the house and outdoors I'd take him for a stroll in the house rather thren risk him getting sick from the temp changes. He sure looks much happier then he did before
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom