odd silkie behavior?

curtsey13

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Pennington, NJ
Hi everyone - I have two Silkies and they refuse to roost at night or, sometimes, even come into the coop. We have an enclosed pen attached to the coop, but we check on the ladies each night - last night, there were the two silkies huddled together in the mud and rain. I picked them up and put them in the coop and closed up the door to keep them in. We have plenty of roosts, in fact there were two that didn't even have a chicken on them, so there is ample room for these two to find a place. Any thoughts?
idunno.gif
Thanks!

I'm new to this, but in my experience the silkies don't roost so much like the other chickens. Mine prefer to sleep in a pile. I believe "silkie pile" is the correct term! So, I actually place them by hand into the nesting boxes and let them sleep in there.

I've read that most silkies don't roost----typically they sleep on the floor. Maybe it has something to do with their strange feet.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Nope mine don't roost either. They sleep in the "silkie pile" Mine are roos and they do not go into the coop until they are sure each and every hen is accounted for and in the coop. Only then will they go in willingly!
roll.png

I find the silkie pile interesting. None of mine do it once they are grown. Every single silkie I have prefers to roost. My original three roost up on a high roost (about 3' up). The show silkies prefer a low roost (about 10" off the floor). But every single silkie I have ever had prefers to roost. I keep waiting on the silkie pile around here and it never happens.

If yours are younger, you may need to put them up on the roost at night until they get used to it. Babies have to be trained.
smile.png

mine roost though they did the silkie pile thing more when they were babies, I think they sleep in piles if cold.... my 6 month old hen takes the dominant position... she weights about 1 pound (if that) next to these big monsterous columbians...

the best spot on the roosts, my baby silkie sits on the top roost far right. She is sitting at window height which is right next to her and can see out the big sunny front window. In my opinion all the spots are great because there are wondows on all three sides but what do I know,... I'm not a chicken.

Back
Top Bottom