Odd thing in crop

Eddie12109

🌼🐓🐓⚽️
Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone,
One of my hens has something weird in her crop. It is about 4 inches long and feels like a thick piece of lettuce. It’s the light green at the base of a piece of lettuce or romaine and it feels like a four inch piece of it in her crop. It can bend in the middle but it’s pretty weird that she has it. It hasn’t digested in about two days and I have given her dewormer and coconut oil. Any ideas ? I also saw her eat a regular earth worm but it doesn’t feel like that at all way too thick and long

No I don’t... I was just trying to describe it.
Something new... she doesn’t seem to have a tongue.
So a little backstory: she has ascites and has massive breathing problems. I have given her treatments for both but she still and always has labored breathing.
I don’t have questions about those though, just the crop and the missing tongue. I attached a picture and she doesn’t seem to be eating as much. Any ideas

Attachments

• 3B1AE62E-9510-4C78-A027-427EDC12F18C.jpeg
    3B1AE62E-9510-4C78-A027-427EDC12F18C.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 18
Actually it just came back... which is pretty weird. Do you know why I couldn’t find her tongue but now I can?

Hmmm. I may be wrong, but I believe when you open a beak, the tounge can go into the throat a little. Maybe massage the crop downwards to get the object out. On e of mine had a full crop and I used olive oil in the mouth with a dropper a few times a day and it cleared up.

Hmmm. I may be wrong, but I believe when you open a beak, the tounge can go into the throat a little. Maybe massage the crop downwards to get the object out. On e of mine had a full crop and I used olive oil in the mouth with a dropper a few times a day and it cleared up.
That was what I was thinking because it was definitely there so maybe the tongue did go back a little. I have been massaging but it is like a hardish piece... I can’t break it and it is pretty big.
I have been giving her coconut oil but I will start giving her a little of both and see if that helps.
it is just this one piece of something that seems to be too hard for her to digest.
I have also been giving her miconazole (I think that is how you spell it) because this piece could cause her crop to ferment and yeast up I would think since it has been there for so long.

Could you be feeling the tracheal cartilage? It feels like a curled spring that lines the airway. Here is a picture:
https://mikethechickenvet.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/chicken-airsacs.jpg
So I have been feeling that on her because it seems pretty prominent and I know that it’s not it. It is in her crop and I can move it around. It is about 3-4 inches long and sometimes does exit her crop. Like half of it is in her crop and the other half goes possibly back up her throat. I don’t really know if that is possible but I know it has been moving around and sometimes I can only feel half of it and when I move it I can get the whole thing back in her crop.

So I have been feeling that on her because it seems pretty prominent and I know that it’s not it. It is in her crop and I can move it around. It is about 3-4 inches long and sometimes does exit her crop. Like half of it is in her crop and the other half goes possibly back up her throat. I don’t really know if that is possible but I know it has been moving around and sometimes I can only feel half of it and when I move it I can get the whole thing back in her crop.
Can you see a vet? I am lost on what to tell you. Maybe do what I did for sour crop.
I put apple cider vinegar or olive oil into the beak very carefully, let it sit for a minute, then tipped the hen upside down and massaged the crop. She threw up a lot and then she was better. if you are massaging her crop too often, it might make her crop hurt. I would feed her warm scrambled eggs and yoghurt, and give the massages a break for a few hours. Please note that nothing I say is meant as an offense, or professional help. I am saying what i think might help the bird. :hugs

Of course I know that! I am super thankful for your advice!
so I have been giving her my own crop treatment as well, but I don’t feel safe throwing her up and I am not sure it would be smart because the object might get stuck and cause more problems... I am really at a loss too. She definitely has sour crop due to this object, her crop isn’t digesting and when I rub it, she burps and a not good smell comes from it. I have been giving her lettuce turkey and scrambled eggs. The object isn’t able to be broken up, I have tried very hard to bend and break it and things like that but it won’t!
she has been having slightly normal poops, she currently has severe ascites and I have been giving her my treatments for it, don’t want to drain with needle. And it has been somewhat calming down but her poops have been pretty normal for that, a little runny but most have normal shape just small.
I don’t know what to do, the object won’t leave her crop and it is still about 4 inches and won’t break up or dissolve. Sadly I don’t have access to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom