Odd thing in crop

Eddie12109

🌼🐓🐓⚽️
Nov 14, 2020
Hi everyone,
One of my hens has something weird in her crop. It is about 4 inches long and feels like a thick piece of lettuce. It’s the light green at the base of a piece of lettuce or romaine and it feels like a four inch piece of it in her crop. It can bend in the middle but it’s pretty weird that she has it. It hasn’t digested in about two days and I have given her dewormer and coconut oil. Any ideas ? I also saw her eat a regular earth worm but it doesn’t feel like that at all way too thick and long

How is she doing?
Thank you for asking!
so nothing too new, for the past two days i have been trying to break the object in half and i was finally able to. They are both about 1.5-2 inches in length so i doubt she can digest it. Her crop is very small and i couldnt really tell if her crop digested this morning.
her ascites seems to be calming down a little bit so i am hoping i can let her be with her friends soon and she will want to start eating more.
Since it is broken up in half there is nothing much I can do now, i cant break it up anymore so i will continue with the coca cola and other things i have been giving.
Sadly though i have Been having to dropper her all of her little treatments and it seems like she got a bit in her lungs, i didn’t feel like i was doing anything wrong and i spread out the times i gave it to her so she could swallow but she started having very raspy breathing and it really seemed like she had liquid in them. I stopped giving her the treatments after that so she didnt get all of it today but she got most. Any other suggestions on how to give her these things?

Thank you for asking!
so nothing too new, for the past two days i have been trying to break the object in half and i was finally able to. They are both about 1.5-2 inches in length so i doubt she can digest it. Her crop is very small and i couldnt really tell if her crop digested this morning.
her ascites seems to be calming down a little bit so i am hoping i can let her be with her friends soon and she will want to start eating more.
Since it is broken up in half there is nothing much I can do now, i cant break it up anymore so i will continue with the coca cola and other things i have been giving.
Sadly though i have Been having to dropper her all of her little treatments and it seems like she got a bit in her lungs, i didn’t feel like i was doing anything wrong and i spread out the times i gave it to her so she could swallow but she started having very raspy breathing and it really seemed like she had liquid in them. I stopped giving her the treatments after that so she didnt get all of it today but she got most. Any other suggestions on how to give her these things?
So glad to hear that. She is very lucky to have you as her owner. I can tell you love her, and that makes me happy. You sound like an awesome chicken owner and a good person for trying to help her. I really hate it when people just cull birds for being sick or hurt, when they never tried to help. Keep up the good work! Thank you for resopnding by the way!

Hmmm. I may be wrong, but I believe when you open a beak, the tounge can go into the throat a little. Maybe massage the crop downwards to get the object out. On e of mine had a full crop and I used olive oil in the mouth with a dropper a few times a day and it cleared up.

So I have been feeling that on her because it seems pretty prominent and I know that it’s not it. It is in her crop and I can move it around. It is about 3-4 inches long and sometimes does exit her crop. Like half of it is in her crop and the other half goes possibly back up her throat. I don’t really know if that is possible but I know it has been moving around and sometimes I can only feel half of it and when I move it I can get the whole thing back in her crop.
Can you see a vet? I am lost on what to tell you. Maybe do what I did for sour crop.
I put apple cider vinegar or olive oil into the beak very carefully, let it sit for a minute, then tipped the hen upside down and massaged the crop. She threw up a lot and then she was better. if you are massaging her crop too often, it might make her crop hurt. I would feed her warm scrambled eggs and yoghurt, and give the massages a break for a few hours. Please note that nothing I say is meant as an offense, or professional help. I am saying what i think might help the bird. :hugs

By what you describe it seems as if she might have ingested some piece of plastic, so better not massage her crop or it might cause injuries.

Try Coca Cola, it is known to dissolve almost everything.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom