Odd Young Pullet

addym33

Hatching
Aug 9, 2016
Indiana
Hi! I recently bought 4 pullets at a local poultry (and other farm animal) auction. I've raised a steady flock for the past 2 years and have everything from white leghorns to Wyandotes to silkies. However, I am still unable to identify the type of breed these chickens are. This is not the most concerning part though. One of the pullets is abnormally smaller than the others. The others are still small (probably six weeks old), but this little girl seems to really fall behind. She likes to lay on her side, and does not use her legs unless prompted. Her legs are also very thin and pale, but she does grip onto my finger when I hold her. She eats and drinks, but not as much as the others. The skin under her wings is also very thin, and her body is boney throughout. I have put extra water and food in their designated living area, but she tends to eat and drink till she's seemingly full, then stops. She also does not move when I am close and loves to be held, but rarely runs around (my chickens free range) like the others. There was also one instance I remember where she was on top of small mound of straw and instead of jumping down, she slid down the side till she hit solid ground. I honestly do not know what the situation is with this Pullet. She is so sweet and is a great addition to my flock, I'm just very concerned because it's been three weeks and I haven't seen much progress or change. Below are some pictures of her. Anything helps! Thank you :)
[/IMG]

Maybe she is a dwarf? I've read on here that when people breed chickens a dwarf can show up out of the blue. I know when there is a dwarf though their body will outgrow their legs. Have you ever thought she is a bantam cross breed? Maybe that is why she is so small and why you can't figure out the breed? Do you think she is getting enough to eat and drink to survive?

The lack of activity is the most concerning, IMO.
It could be sick with something....that's the big risk in buying auction animals.

What feed are you giving?
She might benefit from a dose of vitamins/electrolytes(save a chick or nutridrench)

Not an expert on bantams or dwarfism in chickens, but is it just me, or the picture, or is her face deformed? From this picture her head just doesn't look right. Eyes set too far back on the head, comb way down on nose and long empty "forehead". Beak looks bent to her right side. I think if you desire to keep her healthy and give her a chance she's going to need extra care, and more likely than not separated from other birds at least until (if) she learns to function more normally with her disability. I'm very curious about this bird and would love if you'd keep this thread updated. Does she have any other deformities you can see besides small legs and thin? Does she have any odd tics?

Not an expert on bantams or dwarfism in chickens, but is it just me, or the picture, or is her face deformed? From this picture her head just doesn't look right. Eyes set too far back on the head, comb way down on nose and long empty "forehead". Beak looks bent to her right side. I think if you desire to keep her healthy and give her a chance she's going to need extra care, and more likely than not separated from other birds at least until (if) she learns to function more normally with her disability. I'm very curious about this bird and would love if you'd keep this thread updated. Does she have any other deformities you can see besides small legs and thin? Does she have any odd tics?
Great observations.

I totally agree with the dwarfism! It is honestly the first thing I thought of when I saw her, but I wasn't sure. This pullet's excrement is normal and she always had her eyes open; she also loves fresh greens and enjoys sunbathing. These things make me think she isn't I'll, but rather deformed. The other three pullets have the elongated beaks and tuffets of feather on their head. I've never had a bad experience with this auction, but still- there's evident risks. Her feed is completely organic. I buy it straight from an Amish gentleman who keeps a flock of 1000 strong. I've always used this feed, so, again, I don't think she's sick. She sleeps in a pen with other larger pullets. There was one specific morning were she was actually sitting on the back of a larger brahma! This little girl also eats right next to the bigger guys- they just make room for her. It's actually amazed me how they've taken her in! Below is another picture. She's stumping me!

Less likely to be dwarfism..... more likely to be an incubation issue, a genetic anomaly, or even too much inbreeding.

Back
Top Bottom