Odor/smell control

rockygio650

Hatching
5 Years
May 15, 2014
I was wondering if any of you have had any success with this product in controlling the poop smell?

Yep, it's good stuff.
I mix it with sand on my roost boards, unless a fresh cecal poop has just been dropped, it rarely smells in the coop.

The key to low odor is dryness.

Keeping your coop dry is essential IMO. Building should let no rain or runoff water enter.
I use the roost(poop) boards and sift out the poop every 2-3 days depending on population.
Pine shavings on the floor are totally changed out once or twice a year.
Nipple waterers keep spills to a bare minimum and humidity from evaporation at zero.

Run also should be kept clear of standing water and any run off should be graded away from coming in to run area.
How you manage your run has many, many variables that are site specific.

Luckily my soil is pretty sandy and drains pretty quick and I have trenches dug to direct run off out of the run,
but it can get pretty rank if it's been raining a lot and the snow melt season is especially challenging.
Adding dry organic matter to a wet run can help absorb the odor and hasten breakdown of the highly nitrogenous matter that is chicken poop, but you have to be on the lookout for creating anaerobic situations.

We use PDZ on the poop board. I scoop/sift it daily. We have pine shavings with a little DE mixed in on the coop floor, I don't really do anything with that, the chickens keep it stirred and I add more shaving when needed. No odor or flies.

Back
Top Bottom