OEG bantam hen seems sick

LittleBird123

Songster
Nov 12, 2016
USA, Michigan
My OEG bantam hen has been acting very weird all day. she has been puffed up and just standing around, she seemed fine this mourning though. It is fall here in Michigan and we just got our first bit of snow, I don't know if she may have gotten chilled. She is around 6 months old, and has just started laying eggs. nothing seems to be wrong with her, her vent looks fine, and she doesn't have any discharge from her nose or eyes. I also felt her crop and it is not very full, I don't think she has been eating very much today. I have not seen her poop yet in the time I have looked at her. She is just puffed up and lethargic. I gave her some Nutri-Drench and water to try and perk her up a bit. It is getting late now and I have put her to bed with the others. I am worried that she might be constipated but I don't know what the symptoms would be or how to treat it. Any advice as soon as possible will help. I am worried that she might be worse by mourning.

I would feel inside her vent with a finger to check if she may be egg bound (wear a disposable glove.) It will feel soft if no egg. The NutriDrench is good, and get her to drink more water. Coccidiosis could also be a possibility, since she has been puffed up and lethargic. Runny poops with mucus or blood in the droppings would be another symptom.

I would feel inside her vent with a finger to check if she may be egg bound (wear a disposable glove.) It will feel soft if no egg. The NutriDrench is good, and get her to drink more water. Coccidiosis could also be a possibility, since she has been puffed up and lethargic. Runny poops with mucus or blood in the droppings would be another symptom.

I don't really want to mess with her any more tonight, she is all settled in on the roost I think I may wait to see how she is in the mourning. And I have not seen any bloody or runny poop in their coop, but I will be watching for it in case it is Coccidosis. What are some signs of an egg bound chicken? Are there any external signs I could look for?

Symptoms can include depressed behavior, refusal to drink, preferring to sit , sometimes abdominal straining, decreased or absent poops, and walking like a duck. Some of those symptoms may be present with almost any illness.

Symptoms can include depressed behavior, refusal to drink, preferring to sit , sometimes abdominal straining, decreased or absent poops, and walking like a duck. Some of those symptoms may be present with almost any illness.

Well she seems to be back to normal today, very strange because she was not looking good the other day. It must have been some one day sickness.

Back
Top Bottom