reddirtbirds

Songster
Apr 9, 2020
Central Oklahoma
I’m thinking about starting a small breeding project. My end goal would be something with the hardiness, personality, and smarts of OEGB, but larger in size (still smaller than average large fowl), larger eggs, and less aggressive roosters. The first two chickens I got were OEGB mixed with some type of small layer cross. They were great and loved people but when it came to other birds the rooster was ruthless. He’d pull feathers, chase, and peck at them like crazy. Is that normal OEGB behavior and if so could that be bred out by crossing to more docile breeds? I’m also wondering if they could be crossed to large fowl successfully. Would OEGB roosters be able to mount a large fowl hen (like RIR, Bielefelder, or Orpington)?

Where there's a will, there's a way. But extremely small roosters generally have problems making 'contact' when trying to mate large fowl hens.

OEGB rooster are generally more aggressive because their lines were bred for fighting before it was illegal. But he maubalso just have favorite hens. I have a rooster who has a favorite hen and that poor girl is the only one who gets bare backs in the summer

I would cross them with Leghorns

I would start and end with Leghorns, unless you're trying to breed in a specific color that OEGB have that Leghorns don't.

I've always thought Leghorns are very much like productive, easier going Games. Mine are nice and hardy, forage like mad and brood from their second year onwards.

Back
Top Bottom