Of All The...! (Worst Raccoon Yet)

Biddybot

Songster
5 Years
Aug 4, 2018
HRM, Nova Scotia, Canada
I really thought I was going to have a raccoon-free year. Had some traps out earlier this spring, caught nobody, put them away again. Yesterday, the hens and a couple of the roosters were out foraging. It was a pretty stormy afternoon, a few spits of rain now and then, and very windy. My chickens hate being blown around and mostly hung around near the baby barn where they were a little better sheltered and could step inside if it got too wet. (The door is permanently open.) I went down to visit with them shortly before calling them in for the day, and while near the baby barn, stepped inside to check whether any hens who'd been feeling kinda wild had used the nest I'd made up for them with some spare flakes of hay in one corner behind some lumber. There was a small raccoon curled up and sleeping on the nest!!!

I keep a lot of garden tools in the baby barn. My pitchfork was only ten feet away. So was a big axe. I was tempted to give it a try, but then common sense prevailed...what if I didn't incapacitate or outright kill the sucker with the first blow? Wild animals that act way too tame or oddly always make me suspicious. What if that raccoon was sick with rabies or distemper? Or had gotten into some rat poison or antifreeze and was dying? In the end, I quietly retrieved a couple of my live traps--which were also in the baby barn--and baited them and set them right in the doorway. Peeked at the raccoon again before I left and then tended to the chickens, and it never...woke...up.

I had to go to work right after locking up the chickens for the evening and am more than halfway through my last night shift as I type this. I won't get home again until after dawn at which point I should know more about whether my latest raccoon problem is over. But geez louise! Sleeping on the CHICKENS' NEST in the BABY BARN? How stupid, or ballsy, or SOMETHING, is that? It's not even like that nest is particularly hidden, just a little secluded. Weird! Has anyone else ever found a potential predator behaving so carelessly? Skunks I'd expect to behave a little brazenly, for good reason, but even they normally know better than to curl up and sleep out in the open.

Anyway, just thought some of you could use a laugh at my expense. I try not to hate raccoons, or any predator. They're just doing their thing, after all, and chickens and their eggs are juicy and nutritious. But man, I sure came close to laying the hate on that sleeping little monster when I first saw him or her yesterday afternoon and contemplated grabbing my pitchfork!

I do confess to once braining a big rat with a metal pole, though...

I think I have a baby raccoon or skunk in my shed. When I went to cut the grass(lawn mower in shed) something scurried by. Originally I thought it was the mole I saw in there the week before but then I thought what I saw was to big to be a mold and it was either black/white or gray and white. I guess it could be a kitten? The thing is about a month ago, the wall had popped out and I had to bolt it back on. Now I wonder if whatever this is got stuck in there. Ugh now I got to go check because I don't want it to starve to death.

raccoons are tough animals, i would not try to attack one/dispatch one with out a gun.

and there mean i have trapped a few and i don't like getting to close (even when shooting them)
not sure the laws out there for raccoons but here in Sask there just open season and as a trapper i try to take as many as i can. (mostly during the fall and spring so i can sell there pelts)

We had a mama raccoon and her tribe of 4 when we lived in Vancouver. She'd lead them up onto the second story balcony when we had to keep our trash. They worked those thoroughly bungeed cans all night.

They were cute but they were a horrible -- and fearless -- nuisance. Other than being cute, they have no redeeming qualities I'm aware of and so many problems from being messy to dangerous to spreading disease.

I think I have a baby raccoon or skunk in my shed. When I went to cut the grass(lawn mower in shed) something scurried by. Originally I thought it was the mole I saw in there the week before but then I thought what I saw was to big to be a mold and it was either black/white or gray and white. I guess it could be a kitten? The thing is about a month ago, the wall had popped out and I had to bolt it back on. Now I wonder if whatever this is got stuck in there. Ugh now I got to go check because I don't want it to starve to death.
Leave door slightly open to the shed during night. In early morning, before sunrise close it. Most critters will leave shed during night. They will return once daytime arrives. I am inclined to think, it was NOT a skunk. I do have much experience with skunks,, BTW never got personally sprayed.:thumbsup All my family members are afraid of skunks,,,,, except of course for me. I know how to be around them.:old
Am inclined to think it was a raccoon, since it may have been gray and white. (what you were able to see in probably dim light)

Back
Top Bottom