Off pullet?

Not to knock anyone but typical oral drench dosage of Corid 9.6 is 0.1mL per pound, so 1/4 teaspon is a 12 pound chicken dosage. I dont think it would cause any adverse side effects, just wanted to mention the recommended dosage.
I rather doubt that a 3 month pullet weighs 12 pounds. She is probably closer to 1 or 1.5 pounds, if that. And the drench was recommended in conjunction with Corid treated water.

I wasn’t sure if it was a severe treatment dose kind of thing? She’s looking very poorly tonight 😭 Very bloody stools and super puffed up, but finally nibbled a tiny bit of scrambled egg. Should she have a heat lamp on? Honey water? I’m worried her crop is still very full for not eating anything yesterday and today
I recommended you drench the one girl along with treatment of the entire flock for a moderate outbreak.
Now that others are exhibiting symptoms of severe coccidiosis and the first girl has gotten worse, you need to jump to the severe outbreak treatment for sure. The Corid water has to be the only water source they have available to them. That means no puddles or standing water they can access. The drench is in addition to the Corid water. It is quite safe to do both for severely ill birds.
When I drench, it is once daily for 3-5 days. The bird usually perks up dramatically in 2 days. But I've never had any bird get to the point of bloody stool.
It has not been yet mentioned, but you need to avoid all vitamin and mineral supplementation during Corid treatment as they typically contain thiamine and the amprolium (active ingredient in Corid) is a thiamine inhibitor.
Also, keep their environment as dry as possible as a wet environment promotes coccidia overgrowth.
After the entire course of Corid treatment is complete, you can offer the flock extra probiotics to help heal their guts. Some like putting a bit of buttermilk in rice. Or adding probiotics to their drinking water. I ferment their feed, but they get that regardless.
How is the flock today?

I rather doubt that a 3 month pullet weighs 12 pounds. She is probably closer to 1 or 1.5 pounds, if that. And the drench was recommended in conjunction with Corid treated water.
I agree thats why I advised her not to give an oral drench of 1/4 tsp 👍

I agree thats why I advised her not to give an oral drench of 1/4 tsp 👍
It is very hard to overdose Corid. Giving a 1/4 tsp drench to a bird this size once daily for the three days as recommended is not an issue. It is better to hit the coccidia hard before it causes even further damage to the intestinal tract.

It is very hard to overdose Corid. Giving a 1/4 tsp drench to a bird this size once daily for the three days as recommended is not an issue. It is better to hit the coccidia hard before it causes even further damage to the intestinal tract.
I feel you, I was just letting the poster know the normal recommended drench dose is 0.1mL per pound and 1/4 tsp is 1.2mL so that is the recommended dosage for a 12 lb chicken. I havent read where over dosing is an effective treatment but if it is then that should be the new standard instead of 0.1mL per pound 🤟

@DobieLover

Day 3 for the original chick, her poops are slightly improved. No fresh blood for her. Still the most lethargic of the three, but wasn’t easy to drench 🎉 Refuses to eat though. Making her a Corid mash as she liked that most. Won’t perch

Day 2 for Gem2 and BCM. BCM has very bad droppings, but in good spirits and feeding happily. Gem2 has normal droppings and feeding well. Neither will french easily, but I did get a few minute drops in. Won’t perch

Prefab flock all looking well and excited for fresh feed, as well as Corid water. Perching and singing, hoping they all continue in health. Stripped their bedding as carefully as I could, new shavings down. Medicated feed

July/August flock in the other half of the coop and with access to run show zero signs, but still receiving Corid water as only water source. They eat All Flock pellets and scraps

Day 3 for the original chick, her poops are slightly improved. No fresh blood for her. Still the most lethargic of the three, but wasn’t easy to drench 🎉 Refuses to eat though. Making her a Corid mash as she liked that most. Won’t perch

Day 2 for Gem2 and BCM. BCM has very bad droppings, but in good spirits and feeding happily. Gem2 has normal droppings and feeding well. Neither will french easily, but I did get a few minute drops in. Won’t perch
How are you drenching them? The best way to do this is to fill teh 1/4tsp, then suck that up in a syringe. Open their mouths by pinching the edges of their beaks, teh bottom of the beak, or the top of the beak. They will fight and squirm, but hold your grip and until they stop. Now, holding their mouth open, place the syringe on the LEFT side of their mouth towards the back of their throat. Squeeze the contents of the syringe into their mouth. They will fight again and shake their heads, but as long as you stay to the left side your safe. Syringing the Corid into their mouths should happen very quickly. I like to use a bulb syringe since it's long and skinny, but a clear syringe may be best to release all of the Corid.

Also disappointed that this freezing weather has no effect, there should be at least some benefit to my discomfort lol
They will stay lethargic for a bit, I like to give some scrambled eggs to them or other dinner scraps too, they sometimes are happier to eat these treats than normal feed lol. I hold my chickens flipped over on their belly under one of my arms so their wings cant move, then I force them to open their mouth and stick the syringe down their throat a bit and push it all out at once. Best of luck, youre on the downhill battle now, itll be over before you know it!

I hold my chickens flipped over on their belly under one of my arms so their wings cant move, then I force them to open their mouth and stick the syringe down their throat a bit and push it all out at once.
I do the same, except sit on the ground and hold them between my knees. Also its very important to include putting the syringe on the left side of their mouth. There windpipe is on the right side and you could accidentally aspirate them.

Back
Top Bottom