Officer (Leskin) Well I swear this is never ending post 306

29962_scan0007.jpg

29962_scan0001.jpg

29962_scan0002.jpg

29962_scan0003.jpg

29962_scan0004.jpg

29962_scan0005.jpg

29962_scan0006.jpg

First off: the spelling errors in the "notice" burn my eyeballs. Sheesh. Doesn't he have a secretary to proof for him?

Second: It says that the only thing you have to do regarding "offensive odor" is to clean the feces. Clean the coop (not that I think its dirty, but just because) and take a photo showing it all clean and fresh looking. Keep taking photos and dating them so that you can prove you were in compliance with Section 8. I'd take lots of photos showing that you don't keep barrels full of feces sitting around.

Third: If they drop a citation on you, fight that puppy and force the "complaintant" to show up in court and face you. Section 10 says that nosy neighbor HAS to appear and give testimony about why she is "offended".

I don't know what rainwater has to do with the statute. Nothing in there about it.

Can they do that - change a law by being biased against one citizen? Is this legal? I think not
Maybe you can get the press involved
Is there an election going on soon?

yup..that nasty person is trying to get revenge on you. Fight, fight, fight!

Edited - Come on, redhen, you know better than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Believe Me we take care of our yard and Animals. It's just a tactic that is not justified.

Tonight when Officer Leskin was here and we where talking on the front porch. The neighbors where there too. My husband tells them I've been ill and the comments back where, "Of course it's because of the chickens.", also I had a drink of Diet Coke outside with me and it was said that It's why I'm sick too. The lady next door that peers in my windows and listens in on conversations also stated "No one likes me."

I do not require all people to like me. I do not have an issue with it at all. Because I like me! and those I love like me as well.

ohh BTW The officer said if I house my chickens inside he will call children and youth on me.

At the same time my children are up set with this whole thing. and wanted to voice their opinion tonight But the officer would not let them.

You know they are our future and they have some very valid points to make. They are hurt and frustrated as well.

Why does society exclude them this way? I love talking with my children and hearing there thoughts and ideas. They have some really good ideas.

My oldest Daughter is in University taking Environmental Sciences. She's P O'd about this whole situation, and doing a theses on it.
Daughter #2 is in the USA Army and is taking Technical Engineering. She hopes to help with the environment as well in life.
Daughter #3 lives at home and is constantly talking about recycling and saving the planet.

My twin boys are happy go lucky, Bry is baffled and confused about peoples attitudes towards Chickens, he thinks they are cool.
And poor Dunc Was highly offended tonight he was seeing RED!

Yet after the discussion tonight they where highly praised by the neighbors. Go Figure!

I'm just shaking my head.

Hey Another though:

Some people find pink Flamingos and the like as lawn decor Tacky! But the ones that put it out likes it! They are not trying to degrade the neighborhood but enhance it!

Food for thought!

Last edited:
I agree, the spell errors made the citation look like it came from a child. That it was completely hurried. Section 10 is interesting. So who signed the complaint that was provided to the police before the citation was written? I just can't believe they created this ordinance just this November 4th. Seems like complete BS and you definitely have a fight on your hands. Good luck to you. I'd be pulling my hair out.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
Well, it clearly defines "animal" as not including poultry being raised on a working farm. Find out what it take to be a "working farm." The other thing you ought to do is have the State Vet inspect your premises--for that matter, get NPIP certified. That will counter the argument that your birds are a health issue, and also largely counter the argument that your coop is an odorous nuisance. Try to get someone objective to give you an honest opinion as to whether the chickens smell. If they do, you need to address the cause: add Sweet PDZ, Stall Dry or DE sufficient to keep the coop bedding dry and to inactivate ammonia.

Don't I recall that you applied for and received a permit for the coop? So how can he justify ordering you to tear it down?

Can I recommend installing tall trellises along your fence and planting climbing roses right in front of the neighbor's windows? Preferably very thorny roses. Bouganvilla would also work if you were farther south
wink.png
Pyracantha is another option.

As I read the new statute, it does not prohibit chickens. It does prohibit nuisances, and it fairly well defines them, although the definition is very subjective. Regularly photographing your coop with a time/date stamp to show that it is clean is a pretty good proactive idea.

I would take it public, let the town, city, whatever know what their government passed without their knowledge or input and how it could affect them. One complaint from a cranky neighbor or someone who just doesn't like you and wants to be mean, and you have to get rid of you dog, cat, pet, whether they really did what that person claimed or not! If they claim it barks all night, it is gone, if they claim if smells and it bothers them, it is gone! What a bunch of bull!

Any lawyers on BYC willing to do a pro bono? Maybe someone with some knowledge of law can read the letter and give advice? They have a e-mail address. We should all write and let them know our TRUE opinion of them.

I won't unless I have permission from the OP

Back
Top Bottom