Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
e,,a.PNG

Clock wise starting at 12:00, Punkin, Foxy, Sugar, and Casper...

2 of my pips are on the wrong side of the egg 😬

That's ok! The hard part is over with then! They're getting oxygen, so they're fine. When you have a malpositioned chick, the hardest part is pipping both internally and externally in one go without hitting blood vessels. You may also find that from pip to hatch that these chicks seem to take longer, that's because chicks normally pip internally and rest before you see them externally pip, you're seeing both at the same time when they're upside-down. Most of these chicks hatch just fine.

View attachment 2390694
Clock wise starting at 12:00, Punkin, Foxy, Sugar, and Casper...
🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰 Casper. Perfect name.

@Allthefloofs pipping is the hardest part usually for wrong end pippers. If they’ve pipped they can usually make it. Just be aware that a pip not through an air cell is an internal and external pip so it can take twice as long to hatch. They need that time to absorb the egg. Watch those eggs as they start to increase their pip hole and watch for signs of struggle which would be distress chirping. Distress chirping ... not just regular chirping...and not progressing is a sign they can’t turn in the smaller end of the egg and zip out.

That's ok! The hard part is over with then! They're getting oxygen, so they're fine. When you have a malpositioned chick, the hardest part is pipping both internally and externally in one go without hitting blood vessels. You may also find that from pip to hatch that these chicks seem to take longer, that's because chicks normally pip internally and rest before you see them externally pip, you're seeing both at the same time when they're upside-down. Most of these chicks hatch just fine.
JINX! :highfive:

Final count into lockdown: 21 jumbo coturnix eggs from a local source; 8 of my girls’ biggest eggs. Shelf liner in, humidity vent minimized. 3 quiet days till the treats start popping out. This is mostly Tony’s hatch project — I gotta get that boy his own BYC account.

Now to prepare for receiving and setting up the 25 Cornish cross chicks I “accidentally” ordered.
7F94F471-BD40-4F35-86B9-4589975FDA27.jpeg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom