Ended Official BYC 2021 Summer Fair—Favorite Fair Memories

I went to a fair one time when I was 13 in Uvalde Texas. It was back when you know you think you are indestructible. Well I was walking around the fair and I noticed this contest they were having about riding this mean old Brahma bull. All you had to do was pay $30 entry and you could get your try. If you rode it you won $300. Well I was young and STUPID but didn't know it. I watched for a while and guys would try and try but get bucked off or thrown on there heads was more like it. Me being the loud mouth I am was making fun of them. Apparently I hurt one of the men's feelings, because he got ticked off and asked if I thought I could do better. Now remember I am 13, young and STUPID! I said I dang sure could if I was old enough, at least better than you. He looked at all the other men there, they all grumbled as they talked amongst themselves. Then he said, Hey we will pay the $30 just to see you try. I said, Bring It On like a big shot. Of course they thought I would never get on the bull. But I stepped up, got in the chute, got on the bull, strapped in and said LET'S GO! Never been on a bull in my life, but I rode that darn thing for the 8 seconds. Problem was I didn't know how to get off. So I just let go of the rope and away I flew or fell bull kicking my leg as I flew. Broke my leg, still got the scar, but I also learned a valuable lesson. That $300 bucks I won showing off, went to the Dr for my leg. Then my Dad wore me out with a switch. The Date was July 1979. I went on to ride bulls for sometime From 1989 to 2009 but I will NEVER FORGET that fair and a girl named Stacey Blalock!

Great story! Sometimes lessons are expensive but at least you won enough to pay for it :D

One of my favorite parts is when we would go thru the place we're you shop when waiting for the rides to open. We would love on the goats, sheep, and more that the 4H kids were raising. We would play the game that you throw the ball at the target and dunk the guy. One time we ended up dunking the mare! But my real favorite part is that there was always a rodeo after the fair closes. We would buy loads of candy and cotton candy. 😋I would always feel sick at night, but I was always fine in the morning. Just to much candy!

Anybody in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) of a certain age certainly remembers the Danbury Fair. It had everything: the Budweiser Clydesdales, a real racetrack (with ostrich racing), a beer garden, food and vendor booths like you wouldn't believe. It was a permanent fairground, with buildings and giant horses and cowboys to welcome you. My mother had gone when she was younger, and she continued the tradition by taking me when I was little.

While I loved everything about it, my best memory was getting a toy horse. It was brown, and matched a black and palomino I already had. We didn't have much money, so it was special.

Unfortunately, I can't continue tradition by taking my son. Like so many things, progress arrived in the form of a mall, and the fair was demolished. But my memories remain.

Anybody in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) of a certain age certainly remembers the Danbury Fair. It had everything: the Budweiser Clydesdales, a real racetrack (with ostrich racing), a beer garden, food and vendor booths like you wouldn't believe. It was a permanent fairground, with buildings and giant horses and cowboys to welcome you. My mother had gone when she was younger, and she continued the tradition by taking me when I was little.

While I loved everything about it, my best memory was getting a toy horse. It was brown, and matched a black and palomino I already had. We didn't have much money, so it was special.

Unfortunately, I can't continue tradition by taking my son. Like so many things, progress arrived in the form of a mall, and the fair was demolished. But my memories remain.

That sounds like it was a terrific fair, so nice you have good memories of it!

when I was three I accidentally won a guitar at Dollywood 🤣

This happened at the Ring toss game. My dad had brought me there, most likely because he had wanted to win the thing for himself. He has several guitars and has played for many years, and just as a chicken keeper is drawn to anything chickeney, a guitarist will do anything for a new guitar even if it is just a fair prize. I suppose the reason he gave me a turn was because I was likely trying to lick the walls.
Don’t ask me how I managed to end up with such an expensive prize. After all, Most three year old children are still dropping Cheerios in their car seats and smearing ketchup on the walls.

Though I don’t remember anything from the trip, the guitar grew up with me sitting on a shelf in a closet until finally I sold it a couple years ago.

I Haven’t won anything since 🤫

Entry 1
We went to the Sandwich Fair, New Hampshire, in fall, 2019. We had such a great time. Seeing all the animals was our favorite. Here is hubby~

fair7 copy.jpg

When visiting the fair I always went to the chickens. One time there was a rooster making a lot of noise. It was a Japanese rooster. I walked up to him and said "You think a whole lot about yourself." And he danced towards me with his wing down as if to scoop me up. I was in love with roosters ever since.

My favorite memories of the fair when I was little was being with my dad and brother, playing games, rides, music, and the animals! I remember there being a show where the actors/actresses were chickens, goats, cows, and horses. The animals had a stage with doors, bells, windows, and other props. I look back and think of the wow I was in, thinking these animals interact just like people do on Mr Rogers Neighborhood. It was adorable and funny, and oh so talented. I loved all the rides, no fear, just wanted to try everything! And then there’s the foot long corn dogs and funnel cakes that my dad let us have, mmmm, huge treat!

Back
Top Bottom