Ended Official BYC 2023 Summer Fair Contest—Handcrafts Contest

Otter and Salmon. Wool, canvas.

This is needlepoint tapestry (gros point). I've done a couple of kit ones where they come with the image printed on the canvas and the required colours of yarn, but this one I designed. It's based on a drawing by Ingrid Houwers, I modified it some and transfered it to the canvas by taping my image to the window, taping the canvas over it, and tracing.

It was my first time making my own canvas to work on and I messed it up by not leaving enough blank space at the edges. It needs to be blocked and mounted/finished somehow for display.

I have no idea how many colours are in it. It's all wool yarn from the thrift store or from people selling boxes of supplies cheaply.

otter and salmon.jpg

Robert the Squirrel Stirs the Pot. Wool, canvas, glass beads.

Also gros point. This one is based on a bit of medeival marginalia. I added glass beads for stars and coals and made this fluffy bit you can fidget with where the pot is overflowing. It'll eventually be the front panel of a non-traditional sporran for a friend of mine, but I may rework some parts.

Robert the squirrel stirs the pot.jpg

I'm not very crafty but I found out about tin punching and I love it! My hubby and I are redoing our bathroom upstairs and found this antique pie safe to use as a linen closet. We replaced the glass doors with these doors that I tin punched then put in a solution to make them look old. I just used a screwdriver that we ground down to a point, and a hammer to punch the tip through the tin. I think they came out pretty good
IMG_20230818_232911597.jpg

Back
Top Bottom