- Jun 28, 2011
We are constantly amazed at how knowledgeable and helpful our community members are! The BYC forum provides a wonderful opportunity for members to post questions and reply with answers. Unfortunately a lot of really amazing information can get lost in the super activity on the forum.
Over the years we’ve received a ton of requests to add more articles & FAQ’s to our
Learning Center. Our BYC Coop Page Contests have been super successful and now we have over 2800 chicken coop pages in our Chicken Coops section! Hopefully we can have similar success with this BYC Article Contest!!
- You write an article (or two)
- Once we have at least 20 article submissions we’ll set an end date for the contest (at least 1 week notice)
- We’ll judge the articles & pick winners
- The best article will get a $50 BYC Gift Certificate
- The next 2 best articles will get a $30 BYC Gift Certificate
- The next 2 best articles will get a 3-Month PFM for themselves or a friend
- Pick a chicken related topic. We suggest writing an article that is not already covered in our Learning Center, but is a topic that would be a good addition to one of the sections in the Learning Center.
- See here for article/member page/coop page writing tutorial:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/953810/coop-pages-and-member-pages-tutorial-and-feedback/0_30
- Create a well worded & detailed title. Example: “How To Raise & Process Chickens for Meat - Tips & Pictures” is much better than: “Meat Chickens”
- Write a unique high quality article with around 750 words (more is fine as long as it is good / helpful info). It must have at least one picture relative to the subject. Bonus points if you add more pics (pictures are usually worth 1,000 words, but in this contest they are worth about 10 - 50)
- Post a reply to this thread with a link to your completed article(s) - A maximum of Two article submissions per member will be allowed.
- All articles must be posted in the Member Pages section
- All articles must be written by you and must be unique (do not copy from other sources)
- Sorry, articles and pages submitted to our previous contests will not count for this contest.
- All articles must contain accurate information, and must be a minimum of 500 words (shoot for 750+), and should contain pictures relative to the subject matter
- Please spell check your article(s)
- BYC retains full license of articles submitted
- At least 40 articles need to be submitted before the contest ends
- Contest is void where prohibited
Here are some great examples of existing BYC articles:
- Reasons for Tossing Out Your Indoor Brooder and Start Raising Your Chicks Outdoors
- How much room do chickens need
- Cleaning and storing fresh eggs
- Ten Reasons You Should Spend Ten Extra Minutes With Your Flock Every Day
We look forward to your submissions!!(Wait, you’re not the writing type? If you have an idea for an article that you’d like to see someone write, please reply with a an idea for a title and a quick description of what you’d like to see contained in the article.)