Ended Official BYC Article Writing Contest #11

I am planning on finding the time to w

I plan to write one. I didn't see a deadline on the contest post tho so I hope it's done in time.

According to Sumi's 1st post, once at least 20 articles are submitted, a date would be announced.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Hello everyone! I’m new to BYC, and this contest has brought me out into the open, FINALLY, after about a year of learning from so many members with invaluable knowledge! Since I’m relatively new to keeping chickens, I have made MANY mistakes.

Earlier this year, my husband and I marveled over how we finally had all of the initial learning curves under our belt, had hatched over a hundred chicks, extended our barn three times, and made iron clad, predator-proof runs. We were thrilled to state that we had yet to lose a single chick this year! Sadly, our short lived experiences taught us that there will always be a learning curve, and we will continue adapt and adjust to new equations and (or) dilemmas to solve and conquer.

My husband is a civil engineer/contractor. After adding a significant boost to the elevation of our new grow-out pen, we happily deposited 53 five week old chicks, while celebrating how “safe” their new home was. Over the weekend, our area experienced heavy rains and all but 14 of those sweet baby chicks drowned. The water flooded over 15 acres of our land.

I love, love to write! (Please excuse any grammatical errors in this post as I am expressing my enthusiasm via my cell phone!) I just finished my master’s degree in education/reading literacy, and I cannot wait to share all that I’ve learned with the goal to possibly help others!

This this is my “go to” site for all things related to chicks and chickens, and I am thankful this opportunity motivated and inspired me to stop hiding and finally contribute!

Back
Top Bottom