Ended Official BYC Contest - Guess When We'll Reach 400,000 Members!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
We've done so many of these and I've never seen so much discussion about the time zone LOL! I :lau

So, first off: yes, sorry, I should have ended it at 9 PST / 12pm EST. I doubt anybody guessed a winning guess during those 3 hours, but if they did, I'll provide extra prize for my bad. ;)

Yes, we do need to stick with one timezone or else this becomes impossible.

In the future I may change it to midnight PST.

This whole page is very confusing to me.. hard to read and find things.... sorry
I'm so sorry I just realized you are brand new here. Welcome and thanks for playing along!
please watch this video real quick I think it might help you understand how the website works.

Last edited:
We've done so many of these and I've never seen so much discussion about the time zone LOL! I :lau

So, first off: yes, sorry, I should have ended it at 9 PST / 12pm EST. I doubt anybody guessed a winning guess during those 3 hours, but if they did, I'll provide extra prize for my bad. ;)

Yes, we do need to stick with one timezone or else this becomes impossible.

In the future I may change it to midnight PST.
I was about to die This morning when I saw your post from last night ending it.
Drop dead.

I didn't know what the heck was going on.

nah, it just makes it easier for those who do!
The thing here is to use logic to figure out what people MEAN. Most everyone calls east coast time "EST" *all year long*. It's confusing enough that once a year the time changes, and that if you cross an arbitrary, somewhat imaginary line, you have just "lost" or "gained" an hour, without getting all exercised over whether to say EST or EDST or EDT. EST is the generic term for east coast time for most people all year long.

Most humans do not use stringently literal language unless writing in a very technical sense. In fact, if you get right down to it, ALL (and I do mean ALL) language is metaphor. You figure out so automatically what other people mean by a phrase like "get right down to it" that you may not even spot the metaphor. You likely will *never* (unless you are a linguist) spot the metaphor that lies behind every single word we speak.

We are now in EDT (or EDST if one insists). This (I suppose from what's been said here) is true. I never pay attention to which it is unless it's time-change day. EST functionally (in most common applications) means "whatever time it is on the US east coast" to most people. Since the rules were written during EDST, one would reasonably expect "EST" to apply to the currently active time system as experienced on the US east coast. One might (if one were a pedant) point out to the author of the rules that she might want to alter her text to the more exact "EDT" or "EDST", but absent that, it is most reasonable to shrug and say to oneself, "I expect she means "EDT," since that is the time system currently in effect."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom