Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall / Winter 2011

Quote:
lau.gif
im tired... looks like im getting ready for the box! *other chickens* NO DON'T DO IT DON'T DO IT!
big_smile.png

Quote:
No, chickens molt once a year (occasionally more) to replace damaged feathers. It just happens that they tend to do it in the fall, replacing the damaged feathers right before the cold of winter sets in (damaged feathers are not as effective for keeping warm).

Yes, and it's triggered by the days getting shorter.

Quote:
Boy I wish that was the case with my Black Stars!
I have one now that a couple days ago looked like all she needed was the foam tray & plastic wrap to belong in the supermarket meat section.
Now she is al over quills - not sure which is oogier to look at.
sickbyc.gif

Oddly my Houdan who was pecked barebacked by the nasty teen rooster is now regrowing her feathers. Kinda like she was pre-moulted.
Go, Misty!

The rest of them just look pitiful.
Even Roosterboy has lost his brand-new tailfeathers.
He looks like a weird, upright hen now

ETA:
I was all ready to cast my vote for zazouse' frizzle, but then I saw the bantam in the Halloween shirt
gig.gif

I believe we have a tie for 1st Place

Last edited:
I plead guilty: I have to subscribe to this picture contest just to see what other photos everyone else is coming up with.

Thank God, since I do breed my own mealworms I can boost up the protein level of my chickens at this time of the year. In the past, I had some nearly naked hens during molting season, but now they get tons of mealworms every day and I have noticed that they feather in a lot faster than they did in prior years.

Quote:
<*snort!*>

I just imagined her in my flock, tottering around (don't chickens in molt look like such little old lady invalids?) the front yard in her little Halloween shirt. My worst molting chicken should feel better in comparison. But then again, she might want her own shirt...

Back
Top Bottom