Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall / Winter 2011

Here's Penny, I should have taken the pic a couple of weeks ago, before they started coming back in.

57124_imag0242.jpg

I have 5 girls, 3 Wyndottes and 2 Orpintons. One of the Wyndottes molted at the beginning of October and I waited for the other 4 to begin. No such luck! Instead here on the 15th of December their biological clocks go off and they are molting
hmm.png
It is a rather mild start to the winter here in Vermont but I worry about them as it will be getting colder anytime now. How long does it usually take then start to finish??? I'm not even worried about not getting any eggs, I just don't want them to freeze. Does any one have any advice to speed up the process?

Tammy

rillgal- we are in western mass (near vt border) and one of our hens decided to molt about two weeks ago. She was sooooo naked.... poor thing was shivering like crazy. She has been sleeping in the nest boxes and seems to be doing much much better this week. Her fluff has come in nicely and seems to be handling the cold weather just fine. Her mood is certainly better the last few days too lol. We fed oyster shells along with egg shells for extra protein and this week we switched to a pellet that has more protein to help egg and feather production.

They are hanging in there! I tried the scrambled eggs this am...My neighbor said to give them cat food:/...has anyone heard that before?
hmm.png

Quote:
Yes ~ cat food is high in protein which they need to grow new feathers ~ HOWEVER ~ it also can be high in sodium which they don't need, so read the label!

Another option is to give them chick or game bird feed which is higher in protein for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!

I just found this thread and sure wish I would have taken pics of some of my poor chickens molting. It was sad, very sad...

I will have to admit though and I do not know what kind of person this makes me, but naked chicken butts make me laugh...
hide.gif

Quote:
I just noticed while taking a closer look that the beak is a completely different color then the first pic!The comb and wattles are paler too, Are you sure that id the same chicken? The feathers coming in don't look to healthy but that could change after moult. If that is the same chicken then she is changing all over and not just her feathers

yes, that is the same chicken the beak changed too feathers still look the same not thick like a regular feather.
I just don't know what happened to her her sisters and brothers are normal looking even after the molt.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom