Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

Newbie here so please forgive my ignorance. Why does nature have them molt just when it's getting cold? And how long does the process take? I can't imagine a bunch of half naked chickens running around in the snow.
(I'm in Colorado so we do get snow in October) Any hints or tips to keep them warm?

"All Other Breeds"
Wheat-thin:

912981428.JPG

Otis:
IMG_0368%5B1%5D

Ugalee:
IMG_0353%5B1%5D

1347496419.png

Why does nature have them molt just when it's getting cold? And how long does the process take? I can't imagine a bunch of half naked chickens running around in the snow.
(I'm in Colorado so we do get snow in October) Any hints or tips to keep them warm?
They molt and regrow new feathers so the cold isn't to harsh in the winter. It varies in time for each molt between chickens but the average seems to be about 10 weeks. Hint for keeping chickens warm: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/winter-coop-temperatures
thumbsup.gif
Hope that helped.

My husband came in tonight to say Penny must have shaft lice again (she got them last year). I told him that I examined her closely and she's just molting...
she looks a bit like a porcupine. Will get a pic tomorrow

Now I wish I would have taken pictures of a couple of mine to enter. It is too late now, they are half feathered out again.

Why do this? Because is it a good laugh or two, and we all need the medicine of laughter!

but i'm wondering... say you live in Winnipeg, and your chicken is looking like the white one with it's pink skin showing... it's snowing today in the 'Peg, wouldn't your chicken not do too good in the snow?

Back
Top Bottom