Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

My entry is Julia my Black Bantam Cochin Frizzle Hen for of course the "Frizzle Catagory" She should get a prize for the longest molt. She started molting in February continued to lay and didn't regrow her feathers until she went broody the beginning of August and stopped laying. I took the opportunity while she was busy with her 3 chicks to give her extra protein (she does love meal worms). My belief is that she didn't regrow for so long because she was putting all her protein into her eggs and not her feathers. Silly bird not knowing that you shouldn't lay eggs when you are molting. She is my favorite with her throaty voice and sassy attitude. I was almost ready to make her a sweater for the winter if she hadn't started to regrow.

Julia with one of her chicks on 9-5-2012. Her head would turn bright read at times.

Taken 9-19-2012 starting to regrow feathers. She looks moth eaten here.

detail of her wing taken on 9-15-2012. She had sticks for wing feathers. You can see the new feathers coming in.

Here is my poor EE girl. She keeps giving me eggs instead of getting some new feathers. I think I may have to bring her into my garage to keep her warm this winter. Hopefully, she will get some feathers soon.

Entering into the All Other Breeds category

Last edited:
Here is my poor EE girl. She keeps giving me eggs instead of getting some new feathers. I think I may have to bring her into my garage to keep her warm this winter. Hopefully, she will get some feathers soon.

In this case, I would definitely be tempted to knit her a sweater!

WOW. Winner right there. Can't imagine much worse!

Holy Crap! Poor Chicken
hit.gif
If I went out and my chicken looked like that I'd swear he was fixin to kick the bucket....nice to know this is normal.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom