Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

Submitted for the "all other breeds" category.
This is my big, beautiful, half-naked Wyandotte, Clara in the worst molt she's ever had. Poor baby. Most of her feathers are back in now, but she still isn't laying again yet. Longest molt ever.

This is my first year with chickens too! Can't wait to see my pretty ladies nearly bald!! (Said no one EvEr!) :D

We've had dogs get a couple of our chickens in the past so we put them in a huge chain link yard. When I walked out the other day I honestly thought I had lost at least 1 chicken because of all the feathers scattered around. Then I saw my girls and knew exactly what the problem was. So far only 2 out of 13 have started to molt.

Is oct the time when molting usually happens? I'm new to the chicken world, mine are around 6 months and there is suddenly a crazy amount of feathers on the ground. But they themselves look fine so far so it must be happening gradually.

Our ladies are 6 months old and we live on the coast in central california. Our girls starting molting about 3 weeks ago, but mostly on their backs above their tales. It hasn't hurt egg production. The Wyandottes and Orps have molted the most. The Australorps have only lost a few feathers. I don't think we will win the contest. We are trying to keep them on 18% feed to give them extra protein. They are getting a lot of garden goodies also since the garden is about finished for this year. Tomatoes and watermelons are the favorites.

Back
Top Bottom