Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

this has to be the funniest bunch of pics......the first two are just tooooo much.....lol. thanks for sharing....
lau.gif

We are in the Parker area too! We got our chickens in May, they were 4 months then, and will be going through our first winter. We don't have electricity hooked up yet but plan on making that investment in the next couple of weeks! In the meantime, we may just run out an extension cord out to a light bulb in an enclosed container underneath the waterer. 20 degree nights are on the horizon! The radiant heat should keep it warm. When we get our electricity we are going to hang a light bulb in the coop, not a heater though because that could cause problems if you lost power and the chickens were used to the increased temperature. The light bulb (40-60W) will serve as light for continuous laying as well as a little bit of heat.
Let me know how you do! From what I understand, chickens under a year don't molt???
Susan
Owner of 1 americauna, 1 rhode island, 2 polish and 1 barred rock

Man.... I Laughed so loud. Anyone that says that birds are not related to dinosaurs.. needs to see the 3rd pic from the bottom of your series... Looks just like the dino's from Jurassic park!

We are in the Parker area too! We got our chickens in May, they were 4 months then, and will be going through our first winter. We don't have electricity hooked up yet but plan on making that investment in the next couple of weeks! In the meantime, we may just run out an extension cord out to a light bulb in an enclosed container underneath the waterer. 20 degree nights are on the horizon! The radiant heat should keep it warm. When we get our electricity we are going to hang a light bulb in the coop, not a heater though because that could cause problems if you lost power and the chickens were used to the increased temperature. The light bulb (40-60W) will serve as light for continuous laying as well as a little bit of heat.
Let me know how you do! From what I understand, chickens under a year don't molt???
Susan
Owner of 1 americauna, 1 rhode island, 2 polish and 1 barred rock

They only need a couple of hours in the morning. They make heated water fountains, so you can do both with an exterior extension to the coop and a timer for the light.

It depends on when they hatched. Yours should be ok. My Blue Marans that hatched last December is molting now.

Bye,

Ron

Just one of the two worst molters this year, a Black Orpington. Her sister looked even worse before the new feathers started coming it. Nothing as naked as Kung Fu, but still a sad state of affairs for my girls to look this way. I have a few more, but most are either half or nearly completely back in feather.
I think the ugliest part is when all those new feathers start poking out like a porcupine! Yuck!

Very happy to see the photo!
bow.gif
One of my big hens went into molting stage & I thought she was a goner, headed for the stewpot. However, those naked thunder thighs now have fluffy new feathers filling in so I'm glad I didn't get hasty. She looked AWFUL and she's a big hen w/long legs. I was certain she'd collected ringworms, scabies, lice, you name it. But thankfully, she's beginning to fluff up again. Now to get her laying eggs again!!!

Back
Top Bottom