Ended Official BYC Contest: Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2012

I think whats weird is I have rhode island reds and Delawares that are the same age, and only the rhode islands are molting. The rhode islands have been molting for two months. all are around 18 months old. I will get some Photo's one is sad looking and winter is upon us in washington State. She may need a Velcro Coat made.

enter into "all other breeds'' This is our Barred rock hen named Pretty girl.......we were scared when we saw her losing feathers we have never experienced it before but now we know its because they molt their second fall season. This picture was taken 10/21/2012

My speckled Sussex, Gladys, molted in September. She lost more after this picture was taken but it's the best I have.

The best part was when she got out of the backyard. A neighbor came by and said "Umm, I think one of you chickens is out and she looks really baaaaddd. Is she si
Oh my.... this tops my SS. I often wonder what egg customers think when they see the girls this time of year. Just made me think- do ROOS molt? I have never seen one of mine do so but most aren't kept past 6 months?( cockerels anyhoo) My SS, Lacey< is continuing her feather loss and will look like this in a few days. Pretty Gladys.

This is my Leghorn Chicken, she is 2 years old.
Incase anyone was wondering why shes blue, I put Blu-Kote on her naked spots. I took this picture on Oct 24 2012.
Entering in section: All Other Breeds.

This is my Leghorn Chicken, she is 2 years old.
Incase anyone was wondering why shes blue, I put Blu-Kote on her naked spots. I took this picture on Oct 24 2012.
Entering in section: All Other Breeds.
A purple chicken i love it ..
lau.gif

Ha ha ha that is all I can say!!
gig.gif

yuckyuck.gif

Sorry guys my chickens aren't molting yet!!
Keep up the good pictures! They keep me laughing!
lau.gif

lol.png

Hi
We are newbie chicken lovers, but I have heard the molt will last for 4-8 weeks. You should start to see new feathers soon in some places. They look like the pin feathers you pull out of chicken that you are getting ready to roast. They are small and hard encased in like a shaft-like shell. You have to pick your chickens up and rub the down apart to see them. The new feathers are easiest to see on their head or neck first. We thought our chickens had some type of disease when they first starting molting! Debbie & Greg

Back
Top Bottom