Ended Official BYC Contest - Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2015

This is "Vera", our Vorwerk hen. She is about a week in to her first moult, she is usually a beautiful, proud girl but not during this time, she constantly hangs around sulking (unless mealworms are involved, soon perks up then)! I think i may show her some of the moulting photo's off here, she is nothing compared to some! This is also our first time dealing with a moult so it is a learning curve for all. My cream legbar also had a hard moult but i never got any piccies...wish i did...she was quite a state!

@Rudies Roost
That's about as bad as one of my Speckled Sussex. This is her first real molt and she acts so ashamed. Her beautiful tail feathers have all fallen out and now she kind of hides and hangs back from the crowd. Poor little things!

@Angie16hearts Hmmm.... have you tried emu oil? I know, she's not an emu -- LOL! But I tried it before with my stubborn molters and i think it actually did something. No scientific evidence -- but my own observations... I dunno. Gonna need a sweater in the winter! Edited to say -- you rub the emu oil on their skin. ;)
at this point I would do ANYTHING!! My husband won't even pick her up now! Poor thing has no idea how funny looking she is but she's so sweet! I'm in a pretty warm climate . They are saying lots of rain. Where do I go to get the oil? Should I order her a saddle or make something? Anyone has any other ideas I would love!! Thank you! Ps some parts of her don't have any of the porky Pine needles.

Last edited:
LOL! What fun! I knew it was a good idea to take out the camera! Normally-handsome, 5 year-old, free-range Rhode Island Red Peter was so humiliated to have his picture taken when he looked like he was ready for the soup pot! He is looking much more comely now, but this was taken on 6-20-15:

Lol that is so funny!!!!
lau.gif

at this point I would do ANYTHING!! My husband won't even pick her up now! Poor thing has no idea how funny looking she is but she's so sweet! I'm in a pretty warm climate . They are saying lots of rain. Where do I go to get the oil? Should I order her a saddle or make something? Anyone has any other ideas I would love!! Thank you!
Ps some parts of her don't have any of the porky Pine needles.

@Rudies Roost

That's about as bad as one of my Speckled Sussex. This is her first real molt and she acts so ashamed. Her beautiful tail feathers have all fallen out and now she kind of hides and hangs back from the crowd. Poor little things!

Glad mine isn't the only one that is in a mood about the moult! My others just seem to crack on with it. She hangs about on my back door mat in the same position as in the pic all day unless food is involved....at that point, my usually placid hen turns into a fierce devil of a bird who will attack even the rooster!

Back
Top Bottom