Ended Official BYC DIY Contest #2 - Show us Your Project and Win!

This is my homemade incubator. I have an IncuView bator from Incubator Warehouse, and had very successful hatches using it, but it's limited in the number of eggs it'll hold... 27 large chicken eggs. I scored a (dead) mini fridge, and went to work on it. The space where the 2 egg turners will go (current shelves) is 15 1/2" x 13". The closest size auto egg turner is the GQF 1611, so I went with a pair of these. The eggs will tilt forward and backwards in the bator, instead of side to side... and I'll lose spaces for 14 eggs by removing the end racks. Instead of being able to incubate 82 eggs at a time, I'll be limited to 68 per cycle. I think this will be more than sufficient for my near-future needs.

The fridge...

I cut the inner door shelves and lip off, then ground and sanded the lip smooth...

To install a dual-layer viewing window in the door, the larger flat panel inside the door needed to be on top instead of at the bottom of the door. Turning the door over puts the bigger pane directly in line with the racks so the turners will be within view. The door didn't fit right when I flipped over, so I had to modify and swap the upper and lower hinges to get a tight seal. Problem solved...
The 120mm fan in the pic didn't moving enough air (low CFM), so I swapped it for a higher CFM 60mm fan. This fan did better, but the lower rack is 1F cooler than the top rack. I ordered a quiet (69CFM) 120mm fan that will move sufficient air to equalize temps.

I cut an opening in the door and installed 11"x11" glass panes to the inside and outside of door using aquarium-safe silicone sealant.

The modification to the GQF 1611's is to remove one row of egg trays from each turner.

The new Willhi WH1436 thermostat is working great, once I was able to figure out how to set it up. It has .1F accuracy, but this didn't suit me because the lights kept cycling on and off, which would shorten the life expectancy dramatically. I set the range to .2F, and it works much better, although the temp drops .3F before turning the lights back on. The cycle time for the lights is 17 seconds on, and 50 seconds off. Not bad at all! Target temp of 100F, where thermostat turns off:

Thermostat turns on at 99.7F and displays "WORKING":

Egg turners and modification(s).

Turners slid into the bator. Perfect fits!

With door closed and bator running.

Last edited:
This project is a homemade feather plucker. I had an old homemade bench-type grinder laying around in my basement, and figured it would be an easy conversion to a plucker. I bought a 4" PVC cap, then drilled and slotted 16 evenly spaced holes in it. I also bought 8 rubber bungee cords and cut them into 4" end sections (16 total). I threaded each bungee section through the slots in the PVC cap, and drilled a 1/2" hole in the center of the cap. After removing one of the grinding discs from the bench, I slipped the PVC cap onto the shaft. I retained the washers that were already on the grinder, and they worked perfectly to stabilize the cap.

The old grinder setup...

PVC cap with slots cut in them. The cap wasn't as tall as I'd like, so I staggered the holes so there would be enough plastic left for strength...

PVC cap with 4" bungee cord "fingers" mounted on the grinder shaft...

I installed a light switch on the other side to turn it on and off. Here's a short video of it running...
0.jpg

I finished by adding a piece of plywood over the top to keep the motor and belt feather-free...

It isn't a waterer/feeder/brooder etc... yesterday my husband pulled out some extra materials left over from jobs and supervised as my 13 yr old daughter built a small coop/duck house...

We need some more entries over here you all! Please note, only PAGES will be accepted, not forum threads. You have to create a member page with your DIY project and post a link here to your page to enter. A member page tutorial can be found here: Coop pages and member pages tutorial and feedback

How many years do you think it will take to get the 30 submissions deemed necessary to put an end date on the contest? :D

Back
Top Bottom