Ended Official BYC Mini Contest - What is Your Hobby?

Entry 2; Sewing!

Mushrooms.png

(Three "Mario" mushroom plushies I made for my partner.)

Like many homesteaders I love to work my hands. My intro to sewing started young, making Halloween costumes and medieval dresses for re-enactment like renfaires with my older sisters.

Since then I've made countless costumes, clothing items, utility items (like totes and pouches), plushies and many others.

While I used to sew using my mothers or sisters sewing machines some years back my MIL bought me a Singer Heavy Duty (one of the best brands on the market) and I've since made lots of good use of it, learning to machine darn to reinforce worn fabrics and alter modern clothing to fit my larger (6') frame in ways that modern clothing companies won't accommodate for.

Sewing is both a practical hobby and a fun one! When I was younger I used to sew to make money but as laws around craft businesses have tightened and I got more interested in homesteading I stopped. Now I mostly do this for friends and family and as gifts.

Last edited:
Entry 3; Baking!

Feeding people is my passion in life and while that generally manifests through my farming (rabbits, chickens, vegetables, etc.) it also extends to more in my life. I have baked everything from breads with a 24 hour proof, to elaborate cakes or royal icing cookies and simple box brownies. I love every one.

Most of us spent time baking with our family in the kitchen and I'm no different. My mom baked a lot when I was a kid and would sometimes let me help. We had sourdough loaves and custom birthday cakes as a kid.

applepie.png

(An apple pie I made a couple years ago. It tasted much better than it looked and I've gotten much better at making this pie since then.)

As an adult I bake whenever I have the time to take on a particularly time consuming cooking task... Watching the Great British Bake-Off is always a great inspiration and it's an especially handy hobby around the holidays. No soggy bottoms!

Last edited:
Hobby #3:
(I have around 5 hobbies so I'm just going to post the ones that are most significant to my life.)
I loveeee art/drawing! Recently I've been really into digital art. I use a program called "FireAlpaca" (anybody ever heard of that?) and I am currently trying to find sites to share my art on.

You should check out an art program called GIMP. I've tried FireAlpaca and it's OK but GIMP is more professional and has WAY more options.
As for sharing sites, instagram, deviantart, tumblr, twitter and more exist, but especially with ones like Deviantart you have to be careful about what you post if you every intend to make it more than a hobby because they claim some minor rights to your artwork when you post there. (Things like they can use your pictures in their promotional material or for contests.) This isn't a problem if your posted works are promotional for you, or just doodles, practice, for fun, etc. but could be if you were ever very serious about it.

Entry #2:
In the past few years, I've been developing my hobby of photography. I've found that I especially appreciate microphotography.
Edit 4.JPG

It will probably forever just be a hobby, but it's great, and whenever I get the chance, I'm always so happy to be behind the lens.
And I suppose that this photo leads to another one of my hobbies, although not one of my favorites. It's a photo of a pea blossom, and I enjoy gardening during the summer months and a little throughout the year with my indoor plants.

Back
Top Bottom