Official BYC Poll: Crumbles, Mash, or Pellets?

Which feed type do you use?

• Crumbles

Votes: 344 57.7%
  • Mash

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • Pellets

Votes: 289 48.5%
  • Other

Votes: 71 11.9%

• Total voters
The feed we use only comes as a crumble, and it works for the chicks right on up, so it's handy to only have one feed everywhere.
Agree that there's usually less waste with pellets, but not fine for the chicks.
Once we tried a local mill's mash, and it wasn't that good a feed, so haven't done that again.
Would never use a whole grain feed here.
Mary
I love my birds as well! None of that crud!

Hey! It’s better then the rest of them.
And if it isn’t, why not?
I would think pure, whole ingredients would be good. Not cheap pellets..
This is what everyone thinks...until they start having serious issues when their birds start having problems from not getting a BALANCED diet because they have the choice to pick and choose what they want to eat each day.

I'd never feed a whole grain feed. Ever.

This is what everyone thinks...until they start having serious issues when their birds start having problems from not getting a BALANCED diet because they have the choice to pick and choose what they want to eat each day.

Hmm....I’ll keep this in mind. We’re going to the feed store tomorrow...Though, all mine seem quite healthy.
F4582131-5B89-485A-AC12-64F0B667B61D.jpeg

Choosing which feed to buy for your birds can be a complex process with many variables, and today we would like to hear your opinion on one of these. Which feed texture/size do you prefer? Vote in the poll above, and reply below if you wish with the reasoning behind your choice.

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I get a very well balanced pellet from my local feed mill. I like pellets since they're easy to handle and feed. but I also treat my hens to scratch grains and as much veggie scraps or extra garden bits as I can. I always feed the pellets first in the morning, about 3\4 to 1 cup per bird and give treats later in the day so that I'm sure they get a good serving of feed

it is tough to balance whole grain as the sole source of feed.
Question--how big are pellets, typically? I always feel like if I were a chicken, pellets would be harder to swallow than crumbles. But maybe it is just me. I know many people use pellets.
pellets are usually 1\8 inch in diameter. chickens love corn, think of how big a corn kernel is

Back
Top Bottom