Official BYC Poll: Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

• I don’t know - it hasn't come up yet.

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • The vet or a more experienced friend does it for me.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Yes, I’ve done it once or twice.

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Yes, I’ve done it a bunch and I’m super comfortable with it.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 18.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I haven't had to do it but since I once gave my stepmother's spoiled and aggressive dachshund insulin I could probably do it with proper instruction.

My "other" is that my DH is a former paramedic so we'd probably tag-team it with me restraining the bird and him giving the shot.
There you go! It always helps to have help! (especially one of us medic types) LOL

I have had to inject my chickens a couple of times now and I am feeling more comfortable doing it now. My avian vet is awesome and teaches me how to do things so I can do them myself, and provides lots of useful advice when needed. I currently have a hen with a crop blockage and the medication I am injecting assists the muscle action in the crop to help hopefully remove the blockage. I'm also giving her an oral laxative...after two days of it, the crop is looking much more normal. My chickens are pets and I love them dearly, so I would do what it takes within reason. I still don't LIKE injections, but I will do them when it's the best solution to getting them better!

VET VET VET.

More than once I've had my vet inject calcium gluconate to help egg bound eggs pass eggs.

I have no problem with having a professional inject medication or vaccinations for my birds. Vaccinations are difficult for small backyard breeders as they only come in large batch allocations, so using a travelling vet for this is also a must - ours does injections on the first Tuesday of every month, so we aim to hatch as close to that day as possible.

Back
Top Bottom