Official BYC Poll: Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

• I don’t know - it hasn't come up yet.

Votes: 84 50.0%
  • The vet or a more experienced friend does it for me.

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • Yes, I’ve done it once or twice.

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Yes, I’ve done it a bunch and I’m super comfortable with it.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 18.5%

• Total voters
I have not used any vaccines or medications for my birds. First of all, I have never needed any medications. Second, I doubt if I would spend very much money to medicate a sick bird that costs me $3.00 to replace. My chickens are not my pets, although I really enjoy my backyard flock. But I won't bring a sick chicken to the vet because I know I could replace my entire backyard flock 2 or even 3 times for the cost of one vet visit. Chickens have relatively short life spans, but if someone wants to have chickens as pets and take them to vet care, then that is fine with me.

Just bought a injection for this winter incase birds get sick any advice?
I have applied new castle by droppings but no experience with needle

I've never given a vaccine to a chicken but I have orally wormed them, given my chicks coccidia medication, and also powdered them for mites/lice just in case. When my babies were being treated for coccidia I gave them sugar-free gatorade for the electrolytes and vitamins they had lost with all the poopin'. The meds + gatorade perked them up and I haven't done it since.

I personally don't think I would be comfortable giving a vaccine to my chickens - not for illnesses or for vitamins + antibiotics. If I ever order from a hatchery and they have the Mareks vaccine available I'll go ahead and get it but my birds are too squirmy and I'd worry I'd hurt them.

Voted; Other.

I've done subcutaneous fluids on birds before. Always makes me feel sad for them cause it always seems to be so much for their body sizes... The to burst I've decided be was a little Ruru and they're all skin and bones under those feathers. I've seen what happens if you accidentally puncture an air sack (though I've not done so myself). Actually, I've had great success the few times I've done so.

Have also drained transudate a few times, but that's taking out, not putting in.

As for meds, I've only ever needed to provide these orally. Mostly, I don't think I'd shy away if it was needed.

Back
Top Bottom