Official BYC Poll: Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

Are You Comfortable Injecting Vaccines or Medications Into Your Birds?

• I don’t know - it hasn't come up yet.

Votes: 85 50.3%
  • The vet or a more experienced friend does it for me.

Votes: 8 4.7%
  • Yes, I’ve done it once or twice.

Votes: 19 11.2%
  • Yes, I’ve done it a bunch and I’m super comfortable with it.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 31 18.3%

• Total voters
A laying hens here goes for at least $20.... More if it's a 'breed' and not your average barnyard mutt!

I have only bought chicks, at about $3.00 each. I have never paid for adult laying hens. For me, it just makes more sense to replace an older sick hen with a younger chick in good health. Last time I was in the vet office was many years ago, and minimum charge was about $80.00. That would buy a lot of days old chicks. If someone keeps chickens as pets, and wants to spend the money on a vet visit for a sick hen, that's OK with me.

My third year hens have more or less stopped laying eggs, so it now costs me more to feed them then I can ever expect to get back in "free" eggs. I have really enjoyed my backyard flock, but they will have to be replaced in the spring if I want more eggs in the future.

I have given a lot of injections over the years, including of Penicillin, which requires some more complicated steps. There are many things you can do to make giving injections a simpler process.
I have put together detailed instructions on giving subcutaneous and intramuscular injections to make it easier for others (and to remind myself of useful points, since I tend to forget a few things if it's been a while since I gave shot, lol!)
Instructions on what I've learned are at https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/how-to-give-chicken-medicine (Note: The info is moving to a new website within the next few months, so go to PoultryPedia.org instead after the link no longer works.)

Last edited:
I have only bought chicks, at about $3.00 each. I have never paid for adult laying hens. For me, it just makes more sense to replace an older sick hen with a younger chick in good health. Last time I was in the vet office was many years ago, and minimum charge was about $80.00. That would buy a lot of days old chicks. If someone keeps chickens as pets, and wants to spend the money on a vet visit for a sick hen, that's OK with me.

My third year hens have more or less stopped laying eggs, so it now costs me more to feed them then I can ever expect to get back in "free" eggs. I have really enjoyed my backyard flock, but they will have to be replaced in the spring if I want more eggs in the future.
For me waiting for 5 to 6 months for hen to start laying is more time and money... If we want layers we get pullets already laying, young chicks are a pain in the patootie!

There is zero nursing after vaccinating your chicks. Not sure what gives you the impression that vaccinating a chick means weeks of nursing afterwards? You've likely been misled there.
Never said there was. The original question included vaccines AND medications. If a chicken has to have any more care than segregation and requires medicine, sorry not sorry but culling is a better option than just letting it deteriorate .. im
A hunter and kill animals regularly.. but i do have respect. I dont believe in lettting one suffer.
A laying hens here goes for at least $20.... More if it's a 'breed' and not your average barnyard mutt!
different parts of the world they go for different prices. Not even half that here. Chicks are less than 3$. Most are 2$ & under

Never said there was. The original question included vaccines AND medications. If a chicken has to have any more care than segregation and requires medicine, sorry not sorry but culling is a better option than just letting it deteriorate .. im
A hunter and kill animals regularly.. but i do have respect. I dont believe in lettting one suffer.

different parts of the world they go for different prices. Not even half that here. Chicks are less than 3$. Most are 2$ & under
You said chicks - I said laying hen. If I were getting chickens for eggs I wouldn't waste months waiting for a $2 chick grow up, I would pay the $20 for pullet already laying.

For me waiting for 5 to 6 months for hen to start laying is more time and money... If we want layers we get pullets already laying, young chicks are a pain in the patootie!
Its actually more fun and no pain in the asss at all. Watching them grow and interact amd learn pecking order. You been far misled.

look im gona bow out on this thread . Too mmuch left winged thinking… a chicken is not some anima that needs you to take care of it 24/7, just provide it food, water, shelter. They’ve survived just fine for how many years now without our help. Your average backyard chicken keeper is not worried about production.. so get 10 birds, be happy with 5-7 eggs a day, have some off days, and act your life just the same as if they werent there. Let them free range as much as possible. Cull after 2-3 years, replenish stock every year after dispatching the ones chosen to go, its not rocket science, just chicken math! Add, subtract, multiply!!

Back
Top Bottom