Official BYC Poll: Crumbles, Mash, or Pellets?

Which feed type do you use?

• Crumbles

Votes: 344 57.6%
  • Mash

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • Pellets

Votes: 290 48.6%
  • Other

Votes: 71 11.9%

• Total voters
Pics
Question--how big are pellets, typically? I always feel like if I were a chicken, pellets would be harder to swallow than crumbles. But maybe it is just me. I know many people use pellets.
Mine if they’ve had pellets have always preferred smaller pellets but they love mash....I haven’t seen crumbles here apart from for chicks? Mash is messy but I feel my hens health has improved since they’ve had it

I feed Egg Producer pellets except of course for chicks. I feel less is wasted and my proof is that chicks I raise end up basically bedding themselves on uneaten crumbles they have dumped out of the feeders.
the Egg Producer pellets are formulated for free range chickens and I have been really pleased by the results.

I marked "other" because I feed whole grain feed. I first used crumbles, then tried pellets which the chickens hated! I read the ingredients and switched to whole grain feed to avoid soy (I'm very allergic). Chickens love it and an added bonus is it seems to have reduced the poo smell dramatically.

Hey fellow peeps... do you give scratch grains with feed (which ever kind you prefer) or separately thrown of the ground? Daily?
I toss Scratch Grains on the ground inside their pen daily. It encourages their natural behavior.
20200621_092917_resized.jpg

One Tbsp per chicken after 10 weeks old.
Twice daily during winter season.
20200711_153957_resized.jpg

They have a feeder with Crumbles all day. GC

Back
Top Bottom