Official BYC Poll: Crumbles, Mash, or Pellets?

Which feed type do you use?

• Crumbles

Votes: 344 57.7%
  • Mash

Votes: 56 9.4%
  • Pellets

Votes: 289 48.5%
  • Other

Votes: 71 11.9%

• Total voters
Pics
Ours seem to favor what the feed store calls a “dual purpose layer” feed - resembles a blend of crumble, pellets, whole grains/seeds, cracked corn, and oyster shell. They also get to free range a little bit, usually get some sort of kitchen/veggie scraps, and lately they’ve been getting fresh black soldier fly grubs
Wow. That is taking it to another level. You are really taking a great deal of time and using a lot of energy to put together a well thought out meal/treat/casserole for them. Your chicks are getting spoiled for sure and they are eating very well!🙂

I like pellets because I find it’s usually less waste than the crumbles which are sooo dusty but I have everybody on crumbles now because it’s easier. I don’t think I would ever do mash if it’s all that dusty :lau though it seems like it’d be ideal for fermenting.

And I actually did recently find a brand of crumbles that is far less dusty that I’m gonna be switching back to soon. And the brand of pellets I used to feed is actually more like mini pellets, in between crumbles and pellets in size, so the girls liked them better than the big pellets. But it’s a layer feed so can’t feed it anymore.

:lau mine are the same way! They would always raid the chick feeder whenever I let them out 😂🤣🤦‍♀️

Now I just have them all on Flockraiser cause it was easier with multiple cockerels and lots of chicks and everything. Plus I just like feeding everyone one thing. Much easier 😂🤣 at one point I was feeding like 3 separate feeds.
I don’t know how you could have kept up with all that. I would go nuts. They would starve to death if I have four or five bags or tubs to have to tote around and keep up with in order to get folks fed and fat and happy. No way!

I don’t know how you could have kept up with all that. I would go nuts. They would starve to death if I have four or five bags or tubs to have to tote around and keep up with in order to get folks fed and fat and happy. No way!
It was definitely crazy! Haha I had layer feed for big girls, flock raiser for the chicks, and then a game bird feed for the quail 😂🤣

Does this save you money?time? Convenience? What do you like about doing the homemade recipe if you don’t mind me asking? Has it turned out well for you and do you use this on your laying hens and give them oyster shell on the side I take it? Yes this is 20 questions but I don’t mean to sound like a smart a_ _ or a nosy one either. I’m just trying to learn from you guys.
My entire flock gets this except the chicks there's is different 47chickens 8ducks 5guineas in my main coop 8 of which are roosters then my batchler coop has 9resident roosters my 207quail get more protein and in the winter everyone gets more protein plus a ton of goodies I make the bunnies food homemade to and the dogs cats frogs fish and yes they get grit on the side i barder with friends alot so I do save money time no but I like to do it so its ok and my daughter likes to help and every once in a while my boys help but mostly my daughter so I get to spend quality time with her and do me 1 favor dont ever think of your 20 questions as you being nosey or a smart a** that's what the seasoned chicken owners are here for to help the newbies so ask away i will gladly share what I know and if i dont know then someone else will never feel like you can't ask questions ive had chickens my entire life and I still ask questions its good to be inquisitive thats what I tell my kids so yes I get 500 questions from 3kids and I love it

My entire flock gets this except the chicks there's is different 47chickens 8ducks 5guineas in my main coop 8 of which are roosters then my batchler coop has 9resident roosters my 207quail get more protein and in the winter everyone gets more protein plus a ton of goodies I make the bunnies food homemade to and the dogs cats frogs fish and yes they get grit on the side i barder with friends alot so I do save money time no but I like to do it so its ok and my daughter likes to help and every once in a while my boys help but mostly my daughter so I get to spend quality time with her and do me 1 favor dont ever think of your 20 questions as you being nosey or a smart a** that's what the seasoned chicken owners are here for to help the newbies so ask away i will gladly share what I know and if i dont know then someone else will never feel like you can't ask questions ive had chickens my entire life and I still ask questions its good to be inquisitive thats what I tell my kids so yes I get 500 questions from 3kids and I love it
You are awesome and very wonderfully welcome. You have to be a very special person inside and out. Your animals and birds of course must love you very much as well as your family! That must be a given hands down! So wonderful! Thank you so much! So sweet! I really appreciate you so much! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!🙏🙂🙏🙂🙏🙂🙏🙂🙏🙂🙏🙂🙏🙂🙏🙂

We ferment our feed - so it really doesn’t matter - It all ferments the same! But I am picky about what is in the mash / pellets that goes in.

Pellets for the chickens and crumble for the chicks.

The quail like pellets more than the crumble. Plus it makes less of a mess with the chickens and quail. Crumble just ends up everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom