Official BYC Poll: Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

Do You Clip Your Chickens' Wings?

• I never clip their wings

Votes: 282 58.4%
  • I clip one wing

Votes: 66 13.7%
  • I clip both wings

Votes: 23 4.8%
  • I used to, but don't anymore

Votes: 35 7.2%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 40 8.3%
  • Depends on the flock

Votes: 37 7.7%

• Total voters
Don't clip wings. Have not had a problem with them flying where they don't belong so see no need to. Plus if something did get in the yard, Id want them to be able to get away as easily as possible. I have them food trained anyways so a couple tongue clicks and a handfull of, well it don't matter, if they think I got some goodies, they come running from the 4 corners of the earth :)

Aaron

So... you clip their wings to keep them from flying off places they don't belong.
Using that logic, if I cut their legs off, will that keep them off my back porch for a change? :D

Aaron
If it’s their favorite spot, nothing will stop them. I am just imagining chickens with no legs flying to the porch or sliding like penguins.

I clip 2 of my 14s wings. Both wings, and only cos they are sometimes tempted to fly up onto our 5ft fence. None of the others are ever interested. If they did get out though they would only be on a private gated backstreet overlooking fields or in next doors garden! Its only happened twice in nearly 4 years if having chickens 😁the 2 nosey blighters are Daphne the polish and Hilary the black appenzeller

Back
Top Bottom