Official BYC Poll: Do You Keep a Rooster?

Do You Keep a Rooster?

• Yes, just one

Votes: 132 24.8%
  • Yes, more than one

Votes: 250 47.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 61 11.5%
  • No, but I used to

Votes: 41 7.7%
  • What's a rooster?

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • No, but I intend to in the future

Votes: 44 8.3%

• Total voters
Pics
If I had my way about it there wouldn’t be any roosters in our outdoor flock. Sweet or not, I personally don’t like them. They are tasty though!

That being said, we currently have one roo that I know we’re keeping. He’s grown up to be a very beautiful EE—even if he’s still trying to figure out the whole roo thing. There are two Wellies coming up, but the one, Darwin, is trying his hardest to become extinct (get that joke there?). The second one has been proving to be watchful for his flock and he hasn’t lashed out.

We also have a whole separate coop of bantams! Out of ten, only two are hens! Got a pack of popcorn chicken right there. 😂😭🤣

When we first got chickens we weren't allowed to have roosters. In 2016 we moved to a small hobby farm, where we bought the old owner's flock to add to add to our own. This included a variety of hens and a beautiful EE rooster. We still have him. He's the best! I am so glad that we got him as a first rooster, because at this point I had no clue how to act around them. Ever since then, he has become me standard for a good rooster. At the moment, I have 5 bantam roosters: four D'uccles and a frizzle cochin. And 4 standards, 3 biels and Solomon.

I know one thing for sure, Solomon is staying for the rest of his days and I will never be without a rooster again.

I love my Roos, they are the best. I’ve had a bachelor flock in the past and wouldn’t mind having one again. Which I probably will soon. I will never go without a rooster. They produce me chicks, they are beautiful, better personalities, I love their crowing, and they are great to have around for flock protection.

Noni and Bonnie hanging out and goofing off while Penguin looks out for dangers.
D6B2C804-F4B3-4EF6-B3AB-DBE5E51C5F5C.jpeg
AB50F7B2-891B-4E2B-BD64-CE62AAC32437.jpeg
B85CD9DD-0FA2-4814-8DDC-A5DD53562B7D.jpeg
D23FAFE9-F560-442A-8840-D2278126FE1F.jpeg

I have 15 pullets and 1 cockerel that are all going to be 17 weeks on Monday. I had 2 cockerels but one became chicken noodle soup 🥣 . He was a white Ameraucana that was supposed to be a pullet. The neighbor was butchering his meat chickens so it was the perfect opportunity. The meat was a little tough as he was not a dual purpose breed but was still yummy. We plan on getting more chicks so I did not want to end up with too many roosters 🐔.
82F192B8-37F9-4D52-9133-3068092F9065.jpeg

Here is Speedy! The bielefelder cockerel we “kept”. This was the one chick we could never catch hence the name Speedy. 😄

Last edited:
I currently have two 6-week old cockerels in my flock. The rest of the flock consists of 10 adult layers, 11 5-month old pullets, and 4 6-week old pullets. By winter, I hope to be minus nine of the older layers. I will keep one cockerel for sure, maybe both, depending on how they’re getting along.

I like to have at least one rooster in my flock so I can set a broody if I get one.

Not sure how many 🤔 could be 8 or 12. Not sure. But if any get a tude, they’re out! Haven’t quite the nerve to butcher yet, need some one to teach me. Normally sell them once they’ve matured and shown their true side. But surprisingly, most get along fine with everyone. They have an acre to free range and most have grown up with each other.

I like to keep a few worth breeding of the rare breeds.

Back
Top Bottom