Official BYC Poll: How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

How Do You Expand Your Egg Laying Flock?

• Through Incubation

Votes: 103 37.5%
  • Through natural breeding

Votes: 104 37.8%
  • By buying newly hatched chicks

Votes: 183 66.5%
  • By buying chicks > 6 weeks

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • By buying point of lay hens

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • By getting older hens (rescues)

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 9 3.3%

• Total voters
Whenever I want to have more chickens I let a broody sit on fertile eggs in spring.

I prefer this method over buying chicks/chickens because I have a healthy and not vaccinated flock and I like to keep it that way.

I do have 4 hens that go broody a few times a year. It’s great to see one or two of them care for their chicks. And this is a more natural, easier and cheaper way to raise chicks as by using an incubator.

There is one con: I always get cockerels this way but there’s only room for one. Sadly enough the ones I kept got too loud, too early in spring and I can’t keep noisy roosters.

When I don’t have a cockerel to fertilise the hens, I buy fertilised eggs whenever chicken math strikes again. I’m doing okay though in maintenance. I managed to have no more then 10 bantam chickens including chicks after 7 years, giving away surplus cockerels and selling one hen with 2 chicks.

I am addicting to incubating and hatching out my own chicks. This past week we achieved the 90 chicken mark. ... I might want to consider selling a few 😆

I did get 6 silkies this year in hopes a few will be broody and hatch some more chicks for me. Id perfer hen hatched babies over incubator babies, so we will see how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom