Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Chickens Happy?

How Do You Keep Your Chickens Happy?

• Feed them excellent food

Votes: 201 67.0%
  • Let them free range

Votes: 198 66.0%
  • Clean the coop every day

Votes: 73 24.3%
  • Give them at least twice the space they need

Votes: 137 45.7%
  • Feed them supplements

Votes: 61 20.3%
  • Play music for them

Votes: 27 9.0%
  • Provide them with toys

Votes: 79 26.3%
  • Feed them their favorite treats

Votes: 218 72.7%
  • Spend time with them

Votes: 239 79.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 24 8.0%
  • I talk to them

Votes: 212 70.7%
  • I sing to them

Votes: 32 10.7%

• Total voters
I clean the coop and run daily. I treat them with dried mealy worms. I've hung a black metal openwork basket (of the type you would line with dried moss and plant flowers in) in the run. Sometimes I hang a cabbage or some kale in there for them to play with. I sing "Good Night Ladies" to them when I close the coop for the night and they coo along with me.
I sing a song to my grumpiest Roo, I swear it really does calm him down. Think of Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue tune....reworded
Rocky Roo
Rocky Roo
Crazy Rooster I love you
Oh Rocky...my Rocky Rooooo
You're a crazy bird but I love my Rocky Rooooo

Neighbors probably think I've flipped LOL

At night as I close coop doors I sing the Beatles song, Good night, sleep tight 😴 and the Roos make that funny high pitch sound, like when you squeeze a balloon opening tight, letting air squeak out slow, I do that back to them & then ALL Roos do it simultaneously like a chorus, too funny!

Last edited:
Since the coop and run is close to my garden, I talk to them a lot. I also give them meal worms that I get at Tractor Supply. They love them .can see me coming with the bag, get all excited.
Amazon is cheaper than tractor supply - I was talking to my TSC guy when pricing on amazon and he was impressed with the pricing. :)

Amazon is cheaper than tractor supply - I was talking to my TSC guy when pricing on amazon and he was impressed with the pricing. :)
I like to see what I buy. If I buy on the internet it’s often not as good as I had hoped for. And sending things back is always a nuisance.
Anyway most of the time, cheap is not the best and less sustainable.

My opinion is, what are my birds to me? My birds are considered livestock, but many have birds as pets. One misconception I notice is that some people give birds credit for thinking/reasoning which they don't they are survivalist. It's more what makes the people happy about their birds. I do give extra treats now and then as well as flock blocks and other things. It's not to keep the birds occupied as much as me. I think the birds are fine but I do like to give them things to peck at and scratch through without free ranging. I have lost too many birds in the past from predators so now they have their nice large pens. I do all of the things other people do such as talk and sing to them but it's more for me than them. They could probably care less.

My opinion is, what are my birds to me? My birds are considered livestock, but many have birds as pets. One misconception I notice is that some people give birds credit for thinking/reasoning which they don't they are survivalist. It's more what makes the people happy about their birds. I do give extra treats now and then as well as flock blocks and other things. It's not to keep the birds occupied as much as me. I think the birds are fine but I do like to give them things to peck at and scratch through without free ranging. I have lost too many birds in the past from predators so now they have their nice large pens. I do all of
the things other people do such as talk and sing to them but it's more for me than them. They could probably care less.
I’m not sure how much birds/chickens sense and feel emotionally. Probably less then most mammals. I do believe chickens are individuals with their own character and somehow intelligent creatures who not only respond to food, shelter and safety.

I do think that humans tend to believe that livestock is dumb in order to make it less difficult and more obvious to eat and enjoy the meat.

I grew up on a commercial farm with pigs. And whenever the grown pigs where loaded in the truck to transport them to the slaughterhouse they really screamed in an awful way. Not the screaming when they are hungry. It went straight into my guts and bones. Therefore I stopped eating pigs and other mammals when I left home.

Since I have my own chickens, I stopped eating chickens too. I feel for them. Not as real pets but they are something more then just livestock to me. Btw I feel sorry for the ex-chickens at the grocery too.

Do you eat any meat? People are different that is what makes us all unique. I agree that the birds all have individual personalities but I will still eat them. I don't process my birds anymore but do sell some birds. If I want a chicken or any meat I get it from the butcher down the road. I can get more selling the birds which helps off set the cost of the feed but I go through around a half ton of feed a month.

Back
Top Bottom