Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
It is extremely rewarding to name your chickens, transforming them from just egg-laying machines to house pets.

Despite the fact that there is no shortage of human names, you might want to give your chickens a more creative name. As with people, each chicken has their own unique personality. Chickens also have fine memories. Whenever you call out their names, they will come running, particularly if it is because food is in sight.

So we would like to find out: How do you name your pet chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other". And feel free to share your chickens' names with us as well.

View attachment 2866706

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!

No special system, I call them like I see them...I have a Nubby, Gimpy, #1, Henny & Rufio.

I have several named by my children, so they have Pokémon names, one is named after a Trolls character, one is named after my daughter (she named her haha) and my husband one of the girls Brad. From there, the names have been chosen as we get to know their character and appearance. We have a white Silkie named Betty White, a black Cochin mix that looked like a penguin so we called her Mumble, a frizzle Cochin named Miss Frizzle, and two twin Ameraucanas named Fluff and Puff. :)

The rest have more clever names. I have two English Orps that I named the Dashwood sisters—Elinor and Marianne, we have a BCM that we got after trading back in the boy to the breeder that was supposed to be a girl. That boy was named Bluebell…so the new girl is Newbell haha. My mauve Orp is very sophisticated and fashionable so I named her Coco Chanel, and then I have 4 little bantams that follow the pullet Brad everywhere like she’s their mommy and we call them the Brad Pack :)

Mine are named sometimes for appearance, sometimes for qualities of personality, sometimes for other reasons.
Melody I named after her croaking cluck. It was meant to be ironic.
Firefly I named for the fact that she was so tiny but so bright and happy as a chick.
Everest I named because she was tall, black and white, and always wanted to be standing on the highest thing possible.
Vanilla I named for her white color and her sweet personality.

I named my girls names that felt right. Victoria and Elizabeth, queens of the flock. Madame Peck Peck a regal looking chick who pecked EVERYTHING! Tiny because she was tiny, until she became the biggest. 🤣 Willie and Tillie are named after book characters.
Here is pics.
BF3116EE-D0BF-4196-9C99-42A598FBB0F0.jpeg
91B62312-599E-474B-90C4-7A6077284FCB.jpeg

It’s all over the place really, my silkie hen was named Barabra Baby (BB) after her mother Barabra, and BB’s chick was named Phoebe because it sounds like BB3 or Baby Barabra the third. Rex the silkie rooster was named that because he’s a little asshole, Lexus the ameracauna mix was named because she’s dark grey and Dori my lavender orpington is Dorian Grey because she’s grey. I also had Nugget and Plumsauce the RIR siblings! Those aren’t the most creative names but they definitely suit them.

Other:

•Sometimes I have a random name that I keep thinking about or it keeps coming up, and my next chicken will get that.

•Sometimes when I get a new chicken, and I look at it, a name just comes to mind and I name it that if it fits.

•I name my chickens after previously owned chickens.

•I name my chickens after flowers that are in season.

Back
Top Bottom