Official BYC Poll: How do you name your pet chickens?

How do you name your pet chickens?

• We don’t name our chickens!

Votes: 33 7.2%
  • We let the kids name them.

Votes: 77 16.8%
  • We give them old-fashioned names (Flora, Prissy, Hazel, etc.).

Votes: 81 17.7%
  • We start their names with the same letter (Bailey, Barb, Beatrice, etc.).

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • We name them by personality (Sassy, Gabby, Bossy, etc.).

Votes: 112 24.5%
  • We name them after food (Peanut, Nugget, etc.).

Votes: 78 17.1%
  • We don’t have a special system.

Votes: 162 35.4%
  • We name them by appearance (Red, Fluffy, Lavender, etc.).

Votes: 145 31.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 150 32.8%

• Total voters
Pics
My kids name them whatever they like at the time - we have an OE that got named Cannonball because my son wanted a good boy name (even though I explained that the chick was supposed to be a girl) and the chick was the biggest and darkest of the bunch. She grew into a nice hen but isn’t the biggest by far. Good layer though.
My daughter named one Peanut because that’s her favorite food. My husband named one Caramel because she was brown.
I favor fancy names that I’d never name a child but think are pretty or funny - Saiorse (Sur-sha), Desdemona, Bernadette, Cordelia, Maisie . . .

Don't really name them except a couple. Our rip sex-link was sexy. Rooster was mr rooster our first one.

Right now our senior used to be called goldie. She is a wyandotte. Now is is grandma goldie. Australorp's is Austra, Wellsummers is welly or ms welly. Her brother is Mr Rooster or I call him roo roo, his son is Jr Roo. I haven't a name for our mix breed girl. Wyandotte/Australorp.

Sometimes I have themes when I do a hatch out. Gen 1 had spices like salt pepper and cinnamon ect. Gen 2-3 had gemstone names like jasper onyx and sapphire ect. Gen 4 only has 2 babies, smores and marshmallow

It really depends. Sometimes appearance, sometimes human-y names, sometimes foods. For example: Cayenne (a spice), Moon and Night (appearance/going together), Pearl (appearance), Tallulah (human-y name), and more.

Our GLW are daffodil, butternut, & crouton, to match the gold & brown on their feathers.

We have lots of food names...basil, macaroni, muffin for example.

More regal names: Bernadette, Penelope, Alexandra, Henrietta, plus 2 movie names (Thelma & Louise, they are our EE besties!)

Little cousins named the second batch, with Rainbow (all white 😂), Toast, Sunset, Junior, Alex, Luna, Eclipse & Midnight (last 3 are Black Marans mixes).

Back
Top Bottom