Official BYC Poll: How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

How Do You Protect Your Chickens From Predators?

• I have a cement floor so they can't dig from underneath

Votes: 68 10.5%
  • Their coop is raised off the ground

Votes: 287 44.4%
  • Their run is covered

Votes: 405 62.6%
  • I have secure latches on all doors, including nest boxes.

Votes: 415 64.1%
  • They are fenced in with hardware cloth

Votes: 356 55.0%
  • I have bushes and other hiding places for my chickens to hide under during the day

Votes: 278 43.0%
  • I have one or more roosters on guard

Votes: 298 46.1%
  • I've installed an electric fence around my perimeter

Votes: 71 11.0%
  • I have a motion-activated light near the coop

Votes: 159 24.6%
  • I have a game cam installed

Votes: 102 15.8%
  • I have a properly trained guard dog

Votes: 85 13.1%
  • Predators aren't much of a problem around my area

Votes: 82 12.7%
  • I hang CD's and other shiny objects around to deter aerial predators

Votes: 46 7.1%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 108 16.7%

• Total voters
We have a large, covered, run that they spend most of the time in. Now, they get about 2-3 hours, in the evening, of supervised free range time, and more on the weekends. If the dogs are out, I don't need to worry about predators. They look after the chickens well. A word of warning, the cds hanging in the trees doesn't always work. Our pullets were in the yard last summer and my wife went inside for about 15 minutes. A falcon came down and killed one. We had about a dozen cds hanging all around the yard. It didn't deter it at all.

i have posts for the fencing but how big are the sheets of netting? my run is 175x200’. will snow fall through it or pull it down? do i need posts in the middle?
I use netting to cover my pens but my pens are smaller than yours. Mine are 60'x200'. I do have some wooden T-posts I made to hold up the netting because it will sag. My fences are 5' tall which is my height but I still have to duck some where it sags. About in the middle of the picture I have a very tall T-post that you can see in the picture.
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

This is a piece of the netting I used. I originally bought some crappy netting online and it wasn't what I thought. I should have returned it but thought it would still deter aerial predators. I had an owl go through it. Each time the owl went through I put up a new piece but the owl kept going through it. I did eventually replace that section with the same good heavy duty netting I had over the rest of the pens.
DSCF00031125 02 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg

To protect my birds I have fairly large pens. I don't free range anymore due to losses in the past. I have electric wires around my coops and pens, concrete under the gates and good heavy duty netting covering all of the pens. I have had no intrusions. They have to get past the electric wires first. My fence is also grounded so if anything touches the fence and the electric wires they will know it but even if they only touch the hot wires they will know it and will hurt for awhille. I use both insulators and step in posts. I added another coop so I had to move the wires to accommodate for the new pen. I also have several game cameras. I love my cameras. I think the adult predators teach their young that a chicken isn't worth getting zapped for.
Here I used the fence insulators.
2014-11-18 17.08.29.jpg

Here I used the step in posts When I added a coop and pen.
20210115_095548.jpg

Back
Top Bottom