Official BYC Poll: How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

• Very Important

Votes: 109 25.6%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 118 27.8%
  • Not Important

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • It's a Nice Benefit

Votes: 155 36.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters
I got my hens to eat all the slugs and bugs in my yard, and for the manure/compost they make. They are fun to watch. So even if they quit laying I would keep them around. But we certainly enjoy the fresh eggs so it’s a win win all the way around

Why does your family want to eat store bought eggs only?
My parents have seen the birds eat mice and dog poop multiple times. My dad just thinks they're "contaminated" egg because of that. Obviously they're not, but I think the visuals just ruined it for him. I just don't like eggs myself, farm fresh or storebought

I chose 'very important', tho I do not have production breeds, I do use supplemental lighting for winter laying.
I keep chickens for food, eggs and meat.
The egg sales pay for the feed.
I used to hatch replacement layers every year,
and also slaughter cockerels and older hens for meat every year.
That may have turned to every other year.
I chose, somewhat important, but leaning toward very important. I do chose breeds that are really good layers. The egg sales pay for food and I really enjoy ther interaction with my hens. I also slaughter the older hens and can the meat. Waste not, want not is the way I live. I do use supplemental lighting in the winter also. I love eggs and eat alot in many forms.

People decide to raise their own backyard flock for a variety of reasons. Top amongst these reasons is the hens' ability to provide eggs (according to our poll: Why Do You Have Chickens). Yum, Eggs! Backyard and free-ranged hens produce eggs that are very nutritious and great tasting. Not to mention they are always fresh!

Now coming back to you and your flock: How important is it that you get eggs from your chickens?
  • Very important: I buy production breeds, use artificial lighting, and get rid of them after they aren't strong layers anymore.
  • Somewhat important: I buy production breeds, but do not use any lighting or cull older birds.
  • Not Important: I buy production breeds, but I don't really mind them going broody, or pausing laying.
  • It's a nice benefit: I have mixed breeds that I raise for other reasons. But I'm grateful for whatever eggs they provide, whenever they can.
Feel free to place your vote and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2642561

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
Very important

We initially got chickens for eggs and like many others have said, we found watching their antics quite fun. Now, we consider the eggs a bonus and they do a great job turning the compost pile.

People decide to raise their own backyard flock for a variety of reasons. Top amongst these reasons is the hens' ability to provide eggs (according to our poll: Why Do You Have Chickens). Yum, Eggs! Backyard and free-ranged hens produce eggs that are very nutritious and great tasting. Not to mention they are always fresh!

Now coming back to you and your flock: How important is it that you get eggs from your chickens?
  • Very important: I buy production breeds, use artificial lighting, and get rid of them after they aren't strong layers anymore.
  • Somewhat important: I buy production breeds, but do not use any lighting or cull older birds.
  • Not Important: I buy production breeds, but I don't really mind them going broody, or pausing laying.
  • It's a nice benefit: I have mixed breeds that I raise for other reasons. But I'm grateful for whatever eggs they provide, whenever they can.
Feel free to place your vote and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2642561

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I voted "very important" because I have trouble eating meat (stomach issues) and need the protein from the eggs. I buy heritage breeds, let them go broody, don't use lights through the winter and love my hens! I generally have replacement pullets from my broody hen each year so I decide who stays and who moves on when I need to.

I have chickens bc I enjoy them. Half my flock are almost retired and rarely leg eggs. Most of the eggs I get I sell to buy their food.

I chose other because while I got chickens as livestock I chose dual purpose breeds rather than production layers and I was smart enough to know that while I would be eating some I would fall in love with others. If an older hen has another good trait...excellent mother, particularly good at finding bugs in the garden, making me laugh I'll probably keep her. But any critter that gets brought onto the homestead gets the 'We eat mean people here' speech to encourage them to play nice!

I picked Somewhat Important. Reason, I picked this choice is if you want a broody, you leave eggs, & let a broody hen hatch them. Even though I rarely do this, I try to let certain hens hatch at least once.

My chickens primary use is breeding, Pets, Meat, & Eggs. We eat, & sell eggs. We have like 30 dozen in the Garage, & they keep piling up. We have 32 laying hens. A total of 69 birds if you include the Roosters.

Back
Top Bottom