Official BYC Poll: How Is Your Run Covered?

How Is Your Run Covered?

• With netting

Votes: 82 23.2%
  • With hardware cloth

Votes: 78 22.1%
  • With a solid roof

Votes: 132 37.4%
  • With a tarp

Votes: 60 17.0%
  • My run isn't covered

Votes: 57 16.1%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 29 8.2%

• Total voters
I have a tractor which was given to me but I also have an IBC tote that I took the plastic out of, used the cage with chicken wire to give them extra room to run around in. It works pretty well, slides right on and off the handles to move the tractor with.

Aaron

Attachments

• ibc hut.jpg
    ibc hut.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 29
In the run we have netting but the chickens barely stay in there. They’re usually out free ranging and they chill in the forest sometimes too. No hawks and the dog keeps the ground predators away. (This picture is from before we put the netting on the run, it spans from the roof of the shed down to the fence and it’s sewn together on the sides.)
D4E7A36B-5EE8-4AB3-AB50-AE2777269B8F.jpeg

I have 2x4 wire fencing over all, with hardware cloth in the few parts where my birds can get within grabbing reach of the top of the run (i.e., from the top of their roost structure). The roost is underneath the 2.4 fencing and is covered with siding. The whole thing is covered by two, 8x10 tarps partly because the roost's roof leaks and partly because I want the run to be drier. The 2x4 fencing is raised/propped up by 2x4 lumber to prevent sagging and the tarps are on top of the wire fencing.

The run, which is 10x16 on one side and then I added 8x13.5, is covered completely by hardware cloth. There’s also a tarp patched over about 2/3 of it for shade and rain protection. Since the tarps exposed to the elements all year, I have to replace them manually. This current one is super cheap and it’s already falling apart. Someday, I would like a real roof over their run, In the winter when we have storms, I will also cover a couple sides with clear tarps. The girls will choose to stay in there, even if the gate is wide open for free ranging.

45ACDF2D-6BA2-483B-8991-F6C546B25533.jpeg

1576F0C3-1181-428C-A5F1-EF44E565E61E.jpeg

My run is a modified dog kennel. It has a dog kennel panel roof, but we doubled its width by splicing together a second kennel that didn't come with a roof. The other half is 2x4 welded wire fastened with hot rings. Over that are two heavy duty tarps that we replace as needed.

Here it is in progress after our move last year. We brought the whole set up with us. You can see that I've started the hardware cloth wrap...
20200802_174109.jpg

Here it is with a lil bit of snow:
20210125_074836.jpg

The area next to it is what we call the chicken yard. It isn't covered in the pic, but it has heavy duty bird netting over it now.

We are building our permanent chicken yard now. They'll still have the covered kennel/run (well just move the whole thing to the pasture). The rest of it will be covered with yet more of the heavy duty bird netting. That stuff is great!

Back
Top Bottom