Official BYC Poll: How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

How long have you been raising chickens?

• Under 6 months

Votes: 89 6.3%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

Votes: 175 12.4%
  • 1 Year

Votes: 66 4.7%
  • 2 Years

Votes: 127 9.0%
  • 3 Years

Votes: 122 8.6%
  • 4 Years

Votes: 110 7.8%
  • 5 Years

Votes: 76 5.4%
  • 6 Years

Votes: 86 6.1%
  • 7 Years

Votes: 59 4.2%
  • 8 Years

Votes: 47 3.3%
  • 9 Years

Votes: 48 3.4%
  • 10 Years

Votes: 68 4.8%
  • 11 - 20 Years

Votes: 180 12.7%
  • 21 - 50 Years

Votes: 108 7.6%
  • 51 - 75 Years

Votes: 24 1.7%
  • 75 Years and over

Votes: 3 0.2%
  • No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

Votes: 28 2.0%

• Total voters
February 12th it will be four years. I lost my only child to a sudden death in 2003. I tried a lot of different things to move on and live again, and I'm sure it all helped a little. It wasn't until we bought a little property on a river complete with wildlife and a rain forest that I found some peace again. Chickens arrived about a year into this new life and saved mine. Still haven't gotten over the loss, but I have made friends with the pain and am able to live a mostly happy life. Maybe this is TMI, but it is directly related to having chickens for me.

I started with 6, 2 Australorps, 2 RIRs, and 2 Buff Orpingtons. Of that flock, I only have Lucy (avatar) left. Each one of those losses was heartbreaking.

At this time I have 8 hens, 3 BOs, 3 Australorps, and 2 RIRs. I also have 4 at nearly 5 mos, 2 Lavender Orpington pullets, 1 Lavender Orpington cockerel, and 1 Buff Orpington cockerel. The last two are a little trouble at the moment, but they are being given every chance to grow up here.

Here's a few pictures. First is Mad Hatter. Second is Alice.
Mad Hatter 1-19-20.JPG Alice 12-19-19.JPG
Third is Alice and Abby, fourth is Pippi Longshot (who owns my heart),
Abby & Alice 1-19-20.JPG Pippi 1-19-20.JPG
And finally most of the hens, hanging out together at one end of the run while we trimmed trees at the other end.
The Hens 1-19-20.JPG
Pippi was the only chick hatched out in my incubator. I picked up Mad and the girls to be brooder mates for him. Here is my sweet Pippi's beginning:
Pippy 2.JPG Pippi in the sun cropped.jpg
And finally, a video I've shared several times of one of my first hens who liked to give the benediction at the end of each day:

Last edited:
February 12th it will be four years. I lost my only child to a sudden death in 2002. I tried a lot of different things to move on and live again, and I'm sure it all helped a little. It wasn't until we bought a little property on a river complete with wildlife and a rain forest that I found some peace again. Chickens arrived about a year into this new life and saved mine. Still haven't gotten over the loss, but I have made friends with the pain and am able to live a mostly happy life. Maybe this is TMI, but it is directly related to having chickens for me.

I started with 6, 2 Australorps, 2 RIRs, and 2 Buff Orpingtons. Of that flock, I only have Lucy (avatar) left. Each one of those losses was heartbreaking.

At this time I have 8 hens, 3 BOs, 3 Australorps, and 2 RIRs. I also have 4 at nearly 5 mos, 2 Lavender Orpington pullets, 1 Lavender Orpington cockerel, and 1 Buff Orpington cockerel. The last two are a little trouble at the moment, but they are being given every chance to grow up here.

Here's a few pictures. First is Mad Hatter. Second is Alice.
View attachment 2009947View attachment 2009948
Third is Alice and Abby, fourth is Pippi Longshot (who owns my heart),
View attachment 2009949View attachment 2009950
And finally most of the hens, hanging out together at one end of the run while we trimmed trees at the other end.
View attachment 2009952
Pippi was the only chick hatched out in my incubator. I picked up Mad and the girls to be brooder mates for him. Here is my sweet Pippi's beginning:
View attachment 2009958View attachment 2009959
And finally, a video I've shared several times of one of my first hens who liked to give the benediction at the end of each day:
:hugs

Got my first mixed age and gender flock 6 years ago last Sept.
Had wanted chickens since I was 15 and spent a summer tending my brothers chooks in upstate NY.
Was a chicken sitter for 10 years for several friends before getting my own flock.
After a year of sitting on the couch mourning the death of my son and reading about chickens, I finally got up and started building the coop in the spring of 2013.
Chicken Coop fits into Big Shed.
Have tried it all from hatch to harvest, for 'cleaner and closer' food.
View attachment 2009735 View attachment 2009736
After getting some hugs myself, I realized I should have given one to you! I know. It's not easy. :hugs

Got my first mixed age and gender flock 6 years ago last Sept.
Had wanted chickens since I was 15 and spent a summer tending my brothers chooks in upstate NY.
Was a chicken sitter for 10 years for several friends before getting my own flock.
After a year of sitting on the couch mourning the death of my son and reading about chickens, I finally got up and started building the coop in the spring of 2013.
Chicken Coop fits into Big Shed.
Have tried it all from hatch to harvest, for 'cleaner and closer' food.
View attachment 2009735 View attachment 2009736
:hugs

Your strength really touched my heart!

Animals are the best therapy out there!

Back
Top Bottom